7mm-08 pistol for elk hunting?

Remington Corelokts provably put more meat on freezers than any other bullet out there every year
My first hunting pistol was a .35 Contender. In the early 70's my part of up-state NY was shotgun only for hunting deer. Around 76, NY allowed pistols for the first time in what we called 'shotgun territory'. An old friend from Redding Reloading, he was probably in his late 60s and I was then in my 20s, convinced me that a .35 Remington in TC Contender would make a great deer pistol for our area. Having only shot slugs from my Ithaca mod 37 pump for deer, I was astounded at the accuracy of the pistol. My old friend worked up a load for me and gave me the receipt for the .35. That was my start of reloading. I still have the scoped .35 Contender in my safe but it rarely see the light of day. My encore pistol in 7mm-08 took over some years later. The 35 Contender and the 7-30 Waters don't get used any more. I've been in Colorado for the last 25 years and the 7mm-08 has taken deer, antelope and gone on a few trips to Africa for plains game. I'm now in search of a Savage Striker in .300 WSM for elk. My son, who shoots a 300 win mag for elk, has 'convinced' me that my 7mm-08 is not potent enough for Elk. The threads on this site contradict him but I sort of like the idea of a new hunting pistol.

I don't get why many don't believe smaller cartridges can effectively kill an elk, cartridges like 6.5 CM or a 7mm-08 Rem.

The only difference is the bullet is going slower therefore the maximum effective range is less then say a 7mm Rem Mag or a 264 Win Mag, but they kill just fine nonetheless. Bullet selection and shot placement is what matters.

Stay safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.