365 yard Elk with 7mm-08

wm5l

My first long range critter. Am I in the long range club now? 1 shot at 365 yds right through the heart, dropped her in her tracks. A 160 gr Nosler partition in front of 45gr of H414 shot from a little ole 20" Browning BLR and a 6x42 Leupold scope. Little luck and a little skill. Knowing my gun would shoot x inches low at y range was priceless! I am hooked for sure on this long range stuff now! That ole cow is a trophy to me and my freezer. Next time we go for some horns.

1284863531.jpg

Last edited:
Very well done. What for pistol do you have slung on your shoulder there?

Tank

That is a Scandium 44 mag (329PD) from Smith and Wesson.http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57898_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y It kicks like a mule with full house loads but it is real light and easy to carry all day in the brush. The holster is a "guides choice" from David Johnston up in Alaska Guides Choice Holster It is a real nice setup for carrying all day when you are out and about in the field.

Last edited:
That is a Scandium 44 mag (329PD) from Smith and Wesson.Product: Model 329PD It kicks like a mule with full house loads but it is real light and easy to carry all day in the brush. The holster is a "guides choice" from David Johnston up in Alaska Guides Choice Holster It is a real nice setup for carrying all day when you are out and about in the field.

That is a real nice piece.

Tank

Nice shot, wm!
Curious, did you recover the bullet and if so what did it weigh and look like? Guessing impact velocity was down pretty low at that distance.

Nice shot, wm!
Curious, did you recover the bullet and if so what did it weigh and look like? Guessing impact velocity was down pretty low at that distance.

I recovered a tiny piece of it. It went just behind the shoulder bone but through some meat on one side, both lungs and heart and still exited but there was a perfect little cone shaped circle of lead that weighed about 20 grains on the exit side just under the skin. It was flat on one side and cone shaped on the other. I don't know if it was the front of the bullet or what.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.