7mm-08 Loading

The more serious problem is the hot weather,...If you develope a load in temperant conditions that is near max,....the hot temperatures could push that load to a dangerous over max pressure status.

For hunting my H414 aren't a concern they are developed in late spring to early summer when its warm and shot in november when its cold. But on silloutte matches sitting in the sun when's 105F for hours that puts me a little on edge.

I used to use W760 and had some great performance. I worked it up in the heat of July and all was well until the next January when it was 5*f and the bottom fell out on the load. It dropped over nine inches at 200yrds. I clean misses a small doe. I went strait to check my rifle. I couldn't believe how much the cold had caused the load to drop off. I used my backup rifle until I could get to the range. When I checked again a few days later when it was warmer it was back on. That was the tell that it was the cold. Stay away from ball powders for hunting in the cold.

I used to use W760 and had some great performance. I worked it up in the heat of July and all was well until the next January when it was 5*f and the bottom fell out on the load. It dropped over nine inches at 200yrds. I clean misses a small doe. I went strait to check my rifle. I couldn't believe how much the cold had caused the load to drop off. I used my backup rifle until I could get to the range. When I checked again a few days later when it was warmer it was back on. That was the tell that it was the cold. Stay away from ball powders for hunting in the cold.
760 IS h414. Same stuff-even Hodgdon idmits it-- same weak cold weather performance. I've seen even the "extreme" drop off good bit when it's sub zero out, but this stuff is worse. I've seen a lot of critters fall to bullets pushed with that powder and many were shot without knowing the load's speed at all.

I have an AR-10, 7mm-08, with a X-Caliber 22" custom Stainless Barrel, 9.5 twist.
upload_2020-1-20_22-54-33.jpeg
. This custom built weapon, my son and I built, never ceases to amaze and impress. I'm trying different powders, but so far, IMR-4064 and RL-15 has performed the best, pushing a 139 grain SST. The load is 42.0 grains IMR-4064 at the top.

The last day at the range, I went through 3 powders, all using the same bullets. At 100 yards, she performed good, but now I'm working on the sweet spot!

I currently load for 4 different 7mm-08 rifles. Two 18.5" barreled M7's, 1 20" M7, and a Mossberg with 22" barrel. I have loaded the 120 & 140 NBT, 139 SST, and 145 & 160 Speer BTSP. Of all the loads I've done my best luck has been with Varget, IMR 4064, H4895, and Alliant AR comp. Velocities ranging from 2650ish up to 2800. Of all the bullets that I've used the 145 Speer has been the most accurate across all the rifles, theres loads/bullets that will shoot better in each rifle specifically though. It lacks all the appeal of newer bullets, but it just plain works and they're cheap.

Mine shoots best with IMR4350 but varget is another good powder also. Like 140gr nosler accubonds for hunting, accurate and bonded, sort of a partition with better BC.

Mine shoots best with IMR4350 but varget is another good powder also. Like 140gr nosler accubonds for hunting, accurate and bonded, sort of a partition with better BC.
I may go that way as well. Had a little time to think about it, and it makes sense. Thats a solid performer. Does the ab work well at that velocity? They really do fly nice!

Start with Varget and CFE223. I shoot 120/140 monos.
I'm a Barnes freak myself, they've never failed me, and I've learned a few things that helps to get them to shoot. That's my plan, to check out the 120TTSX, and possibly, 145LRX.
I have cfe223, a little Varget. Then will have to wait for awhile, Vargets getting hard to come by.

Does the ab work well at that velocity? They really do fly nice!
I shot a midsize deer this past fall 138# dressed so probably 160# or so walking, shot my usual high shoulder shot and the deer went 2 leaps with what it had left in the front end. It broke both shoulders and left an exit wound you could put 2-3 fingers in. Solid bullet performance, just like the paritions I used for decades. The AB are very accurate and bonded to hold together, I also like the tips don't deform from recoil in the magazine and loading in and out every morning and evening. Dave

I just recently got this caliber for my daughter and started reloading for it. I want to point out at the start that this will be for hunting.

So I started out on a medium load, 45g of IMR 4350 with a 139g Hornady SST. I got a little over 2700fps on velocity. I'd like to get over 2800. She is pretty comfortable with the recoil, as it is less then the Remington Core-Lokt ammo I bought to break the barrel in with.

Since I just really started reloading I'm finding some different info on loads that people are using for this caliber, using various powders. I'm pretty happy with using the Hornady bullets, either Interbond or SST, they both have the same BC. But with these various powders like IMR, Varget, RL15, RL17, etc. I'm wanting to just know in lamen terms what the difference is between these that a beginner like myself would understand.

I realize that all rifles will perform differently with different powders, bullets, etc. and I need to find what will best work in my rifle. I'm just trying to get a feel for these different powders and what might be more advantages for me with respect to each one. This could actually apply to any reloading I do for my other guns as well. I guess that's the beauty of reloading yourself...there are many doors to open and explore.

Thanks for any advice or information you can give me.
You will find what you seek plus some with 760 and a magnum primer. Mine did 3k

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.