7mm-08 and I don't reload

ker2222

7mm-08 and I don\'t reload

I am looking for a new long range varmint gun that will have the capability to occassionally take an antelope/deer with and one that I can do some target shooting with.

I was leaning towards a 308 when a buddy told me about 7mm-08 which is a cartridge I really don't know anything about.

Does anyone have any expereince with this cartridge that could share???

THanks

Re: 7mm-08 and I don\'t reload

Ker, I'm a big fan of the 708 and the Rem. S/S I've got is very accurate, if you want a Varmint weight rifle, I'd look into the Sako 75 Varmint/laminated/stainless, judging by the MSRP, it may run you about 1200 bucks, but should be well worth the money, if your wanting a "sporter" weight, the Rem. CDL would get the nod, or a Win. featherweight would be nice piece, but you did mention target shooting, yeah, the Sako.
wink.gif
You gotta start reloading, I've got some very good recipes for this round. Jay

The sako 75 is exactly the rifle that got this discussion started.

Could you send me your loads recepies--even if I don't get into it, a partner of mine does reload and I could get him to cook me up some rounds.

How hard is this cartridge to reload. I have never even tried before.

e-mail sent, and this cartridge isn't any harder to reload than anything else, just have to watch for the OAL, most magazines are about 2.830" long, so, some bullets need to be seated under than that length, unless your feeding them one at a time, the 150Bal.tips are at 2.840",(.010" off the lands) but I load them one at a time for the time being, though seating them to 2.830" has no accuracy loss from what I can tell, the 150MKs are at 2.8" and they're .010" off the lands. You'll have to have your buddy check the finished load to see where the lands are at, not sure how Sako does it, Remingtons seems to be a bit on the short side, which is alright with me. Later, Jay

Hello 2222

Im a fan of all 7mm,s and beleve the 7-08
to be one of best.

The Texas State Hi Power has been won by MrTubb many times with a 7-08 .

It also appears to be a great deer cartrige

I do reload But like the performance of the
120 grain best.

The 140 grain is slow [around 2800fps]
but the 120 grain is around 3000 fps and
recoil is lighter.

smile.gif
JE

In my experience, if you want a calibre and a load to kill deer with, use the 7-08 with 140 Gners or thereabouts, never mind the velocity stories, the 140's at about 2800 - 2850 just kill things and are getting on BR accurate in my modified Sako 75. Minimal meat damage, and very few 'Runners'..

Best of luck with it.

P

ooops, forgot to say that I prefer to be up close and personal, so this may not be true for LR deer shooters.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.