There's something I don't understand

royinidaho

Why do people usually always use a 225 class bullet, or less, in a 338 cartridge of about any size?

Except for something puny like a 338-06 it doesn't seem to make sense.

For anything in the class of a 338 Win a 225 would seem reasonable. For a RUM and larger I see no reason to shoot anything less than a 265, 280 or most probably the 300 SMK.

It would seem that for bullet weights less than 225 one may as well stick w/a 30 Cal.

Or is this trend just the way people are.

You need to remember that the world we (those of us who frequent this site and do the LRH thing) live in is different from the other 99% or shooters and hunters out there. What we know, understand and use daily is completely foreign to them and makes no sense.

We used to have a gunshop in town. He recently retired, moved to Montana and it's now closed. A year or two back I was in there and happened to inquire about heavy 7mm bullets to see what, if anything, he stocked. There were several shop regulars sitting around. I casually mentioned to the owner that I shot 200 grain bullets in my 7mm and the discussion/argument/flogging was on.

The shop rats said that was about the craziest thing they'd heard of and that 140-150 was the heviest anyone needed in a 7mm. They asked what I shot and why I needed the 200 grain bullets.

I explained briefly the reasoning and said that from about 700-800 yards on out it beat everything and that from 1000 on out to 2000 it was awesome. That brought up statements that led to me just giving up and telling them I had an appointment. This was a discussion about a world that they knew nothing about.

Hell, if you could get a good 150 grain bullet for the 338s they would probably sell faster than they could make them. Heck, they be good for at least 200 yards.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hell, if you could get a good 150 grain bullet for the 338s they would probably sell faster than they could make them. Heck, they be good for at least 200 yards.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

They are getting close as there is or was a 160 grain 338 bullet made. Makes no sense to me..

I've mentioned a bullets -bc- and had lifelong hunters wall their eyes at me ,as ss7mm said -normal hunters and LRH's are a different bunch.

I've seen LRH scorned on 24hr campfire and bullet -bc- spoke of as overrated -at 500yd it appears overrated.

I think the 338 shooters see big velocity from the big effecient barrel of a 338 w/a 225gr bullet and think --whoow-- gitter done.....

"Normal" hunter really explains it. I am going to load a friends .338 RUM, and since the longest shot he will probably ever attempt is about 300 yards, the 225 gr Accubond is where I am starting. I am probably more of a normal hunter than LR, but I do understand the LRH concepts such as the one being discussed here. Thus, all the info here is lengthening my range. mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts