7mm/08 AI velocity confirmation

If going the tikka way, you have two options to approach it:
1 start with a tikka 7-08 that you get rechambered, you will need to get the bolt stop modified or replaced for a long action one. And change the mag for a long action mag.

2. You start with a long action cartridge like 270 or 30-06 and get a new barrel fitted .

I ran 2850 w/OEM, in a 20" M70 carbine, 2960 w/OEM in 21" 700s (2) - all using 139 and 140s over Varget. Partial sized cases. IMR4064 matched speeds and bettered accuracy. Keep in mind, WW brass holds about 1.5 gr more than RP, and perhaps more yet than FC. If I needed that speed, I would just buy a 270 Tikka, and run 140 ABs or BTs. Your action length is the same. K.I.S.S.

Interesting thread...I have a Fierce CT Edge in 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel. Im running Lapua brass, 145 Barnes LRX ahead of 46 gr of RL-17 with a CCI- BR-2 primer...it rolls out of the pipe at 2844, no PRX sign and the .5 MOA they advertise. Last week in 3rd hunt in Colorado I dropped a nice mule buck one shot right through the pump at 475 yds ranged. Took one step and I got to watch it fall down through the scope. Go me! So just wanted to add my .02 cents on what kind of "jack" I get with my recipe for out that 22 in bbl. for reference. That same load gave 2760 in my wife's Weatherby Camilla 7mm-08 with a 20" pipe. BTW she flat out layed 'em down on Africa Plains game hunt with that little rig--all one shot kills. So...if you just want that AI, go for it, otherwise, you can get some good numbers out of "plain" 7mm-08 and my experience, that's enough mojo for most critters. My kids have a little Browning A Bolt Micro Medallion in 7mm-08 I won in a Ducks unlimited drawing in 1990, my kids grew up shooting that little "pocket rifle" and have over 70 DRT one shot kills with it between 'em. Sooo...Im a died in the wool fan of 7mm-08 and I own most calibers out there...just because, you know--a feller needs to:)!

The 7/08 is grossly underrated and is sometimes thought of as a short range cartridge or a youth cartridge.
Here is a Video that puts things into perspective in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with the 308 used to compare to but many people can relate to it so I feel it is a good comparison and can prove that the 7/08 is a good long range cartridge.
It has been used to win many 1000 yard matches also.

The AI version ups the performance and makes this cartridge a very good performer at longer distances.

Just for comparison

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Some great points being made!!
Im doing a 7-08AI at the moment. 26" 1:9 barrel, Kelbly Tac Action. Planning on shooting 150gr ELDX. Not sure what the MV will be,but I'm hoping for 2850-2900fps...
Will I get there??

does Jarret rifles say what 140 grain bullet they are using ? I'm guessing the Berger 140 vld-H used with RL17 , same as I'm using in this 7-08

Good Point, small bearing surface and slow twist rates can skyrocket FPS figures. Hence the 270's that Rocket the smaller sided projectiles.

I shoot 708 and have two rifles. Neither improved.
My two best loads right now are over Ramshot Biggagme.

120 NBT at 3185 fps from 22" bbl
162 Amax at 2809 fps from 24" bbl

With both rifles I am running Lapua "Palma" 308 brass that I have necked down in a 708 NS die.

For primers I am using the CCI 450.

Great sub 1/3 MOA from both loads. Honestly I suspect they are better loads - the limitation being my hard flinch and chainsaw yank on the trigger. If I had good marksmanship skills, I think I'd be in same hole.

Both projectiles are FANTASTIC at dropping game. The 120 is for my kids, so that they have a simple shot out to 300+y with little to no holdover. The 162 I like for long west Texas shots. That Amax is just plain not moved by cross winds.

Some great points being made!!
Im doing a 7-08AI at the moment. 26" 1:9 barrel, Kelbly Tac Action. Planning on shooting 150gr ELDX. Not sure what the MV will be,but I'm hoping for 2850-2900fps...
Will I get there??
I shoot a 7SAW - it's a 7mm/08 with the shoulder/neck junction set back to give a 30 degree shoulder. No other changes to the 7mm/08 dimensions and fire forming is not required. It uses SRP brass; I'm using Lapua 308 Palma brass. My rifle is fitted with a 20" barrel and I shoot it suppressed, resulting in an overall barrel length with suppressor a tad over 26".

That little cartridge pushes the 150 ELD-X at 2848 fps (LabRadar verified), and I'm running a full grain of Varget below what I determined to be max pressure in my rifle. I don't think you will have any problem reaching those velocities in your longer-barreled AI version.