7mm/08 AI maximum range

Jason

I have recently had a Rem 700 rechambered to 7mm/08 AI, not a big improvement to be honest, but I have been playing with Berger 168 gr vld's and can get 2725 fps with no pressure signs ( maybe room for a little more ) I live in New Zealand and shoot mostly Red deer for meat weighing on average around 180 lbs. I was hoping to be able to shoot out to 600 yds. I don't really want a larger calibre as the 7mm/08 AI is nice to shoot and economical for practice.
Do you think it has enough punch? Velocity remaining at 600 yds is just approx 1975 fps and 1450 fpe.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Jason, you have more than enough. I've killed two mule deer with my 280 Remington loaded with 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, beyond 600 yards. I pushed those bullet at around 2900 fps. You will be surprised the killing ability of the 7MM caliber, even at those modest velocity. They're my favorite.

The AI stands for Ackly improved and was desgined by the great Parker O. Ackley years ago. the Ackley desgine take the case and blows it out to have minimum body taper and a 40 deg shoulderkeepig the neck length the same. A true Ackley chamber is actualy a tiny bit shorter where the neck meets the shoulder so that their is a slight crush fit when factory ammo is chambered. I'm a big fan of Ackley improving as it generaly gives you a little bit more case capacity and always longer case life due to the lessened case streching. Some cases benifity more than others from the AI treatment like the 250 Savage , with this little case is improved you can load up 100gr bullets to run right with factory 25-06 ammo.

As to the origional post , you have plenty power to kill your red deer out to probably 800-900yds.
You might want to be careful of the expansion of the Bergers I've heard that they can fail somtmes if the speed drops to low and just poke right through.
Have you tried the A-max in this gun? , what powder are you shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.