777 Pellets

Bigeclipse

All,
I know a lot of people prefer loose powder but I just wanted some safety information here. On Hodgdon's website they state to use no more than two 50 grain pellets. Is there a difference between the 777 pellets and pyrodex? Does hodgdon simply state this for liability reasons since many muzzleloaders can only handle 100 grain loads (magnum muzzleloaders are relatively new to the scene) I know three pyrodex pellets is fine but what about 777 pellets. NOTE: I am not talking about the 60 grain 777 magnum pellets but their standard 50 grains pellets.

T7 is much more energentic than pyrodex. With magnum loads of loose T7, many recommend reducing the charge by 10% in magnum rifles.

how about when using their pellets? It sounds from the sources I have read that the loose 777 is a bit different than the pellet form but no one seems to know for sure so maybe I will just stick with 2 for now.

T7 is much more energentic than pyrodex. With magnum loads of loose T7, many recommend reducing the charge by 10% in magnum rifles.

Call the manufacturer of your muzzleloader. They will be able to tell you if your gun will handle the charges your interested in.

I called CVA and they stated that the optima V2 is rated for 150 grains of pellet loads and this does include the 777 pellets. They said however, loose powder is different. They said 777 and others state only to use 2 pellets because there are still many rifles out there that are not rated for above that. So for anyone out there who questioned using 150grains of 777 pellets in a CVA 150 grain rated gun...you are good to go!

I dont know if this will help but I have a TC Triumph and it says that you can shoot three pellets or 150 grain magnum loads. I have worked it up to that point but the higher I went the larger the groups became. I recommend a 250 gr barnes and 2 50 grain 777 pellets. This has been my go to load. I stay away from the hot loads with a Muzzle Loader it is just a little too quirky for me.

If I can help let me know.

Good Luck

Christian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.