700 sendero vs 12 vlp

matt_3479

300 win mag 700 sendero vs 300. wsm 12 vlp for long range hunting and shooting out too 800 yards max. both guns are more then capable so i dont want to hear caliber preference. i would like to know about rifle preference

If you want something that looks good, want to spend 1200$ and brag to your friends buy a sendero if you want it just to shoot very well, buy the savage.

300 win mag 700 sendero vs 300. wsm 12 vlp for long range hunting and shooting out too 800 yards max. both guns are more then capable so i dont want to hear caliber preference. i would like to know about rifle preference

Matt,
I can not do a direct comparison between the two having never owned a Sendero. I do however have the 300WSM VLP and have been very happy with it's performance. The rifle shoots a consistant .5 MOA ( or better ) with 180 grain Nosler BT's and H-4350 held together by winchester brass and lit-up with WLR primers , this is out of the box.

Since I bought the gun I have swaped stocks just because I prefered the palm Swell on the BVSS stocks and it matches my two other LR rifles .

I recently picked up a Savage 112 BVSS in 300WM so I decided to switch barrel/bolt the 300WSM to 260 REM .
Here are somethings to think about if you want to switch barrel/bolt.
The WSM has a large shank barrel not really a big deal if you're not in a hurry for another cartridge but most off the shelf barrels will be standard shank ( it took almost 5 months to get my large shank 260 Shilen barrel). Also in my case I would have had to swap the firing pin pkg , bolt face and rear baffle also not a big deal as they can be found from different vendors. In my case I was lucky enough to have a model 12 in 22-250 so I used the 22-250 bolt and head spaced off of that for the new 260 barrel.

Truth be told at this price point both are likely to give similar performance. The personal preferances are up to you.

MIke

Last edited:
I have two model 12's one is a BVSS & the other is the VLP style, I also have a good friend who has an original Sendero in 300RUM. They are all attractive, they all shoot great (edge to the 12's but they are varmint cartridges). If you get the chance, hold them all & see what fits your needs/likes better. I would assume the WinMag will outrun the WSM with the 200+ grainers (where the 30's start to shine). Although, IIRC the last 1000yd world record was set with a 300 WSM (don't quote me on that).

....come to think of it, I use an equivalent to the 300 WSM (Lazzeroni Patriot) in a 700SA, with the advent of RL-17, these cartridges are AWESOME!! Should be able to at LEAST equal the velocity of the WinMag, in a shorter, beltless case.

The Sendero is an awesome package for sure, but so is the Model 12... bang for the buck, my money is on Savage.

I had a close friend and long range shooter give me a few options on what he thinks i should do and i liked option 3 the best.

option 3:

sell my 300. wsm to my neighbor who wants it badly, pick up a good used remington 700 Sendero in a 300. win mag, piller bed it, replace the trigger, and blue print the action and you got yourself a great first start to a long range killer. Work up some 210 VLD loads. Eventually i would probably swap the barrel out for a new one when its shot out, and maybe even put a McMillan A-5 or A3-5.

Take the 7mm and replace the barrel on it with a #4-5 contour, put a timney trigger on it, blue print the action, piller bed it into a McMillan HTG stock and that way ill have a 7mm mag throated for 168 vld's to 180 vld's and ill have a light weight carry around 800 yard killer for long hard hikes, and a heavy long range 1200 yard killer for canyons, long range pokes.

These rifles will be used for moose, elk, whitetail, mule, black bear and caribou.

He had some other good options but this one seemed the smartest.

the one thing the Savage with a BVS stock does better than the Remington is that it rides the bags better (but still not great). The .300WSM case is known to be accurate. If you buy the 700, plan on a rebuild right outta the box. The Savage will shoot well right outta the box. A well built Remington will shoot very well, but your also looking $1800. A well built Savage will also shoot just as well, but your looking at a lot less cash. You can buy a good barrel for about $350, and you get to pay someone another $180 with the Remington. The Remington trigger is suspect in my view, but there some very nice aftermarket ones out there for about $200. The Sendro stock sucks on a good day. The Savage action will be truer right out of the box, and often needs no rework. Otherwise they are pretty much equale unless you opt for the single shot bolt gun from Savage.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.