savage 12 vlp

Dean F

I have just brought my son a savage 12 vlp 223 with 1 in 7 twist for long rang shooting. Has any one got one and are they as good as my dealer says they are. i no that hand loads are better but what factory loads do yoy find the best for this rifle.:cool:

the heavy barreled savage varmint and law enforcement rifles are typically the most accurate rifles besides a true custom and sometimes are they are even as accurate as the customs, just keep a check on the copper fouling for the first 100 or so rounds. Factory ammo Double Tap or Corbon with 69 or 77grn sierra matchkings, or Hornady with 68 or 75grn bthp match.

the bad news: you've probably found u need to shoot very heavy bullets with this 1 in 7 twist.
the good news: if you want to buy any bullets, with the nonsense going on now, heavy bullets are all that's available for a .223.
good luck- I love mine, it's got the 1 in 10 twist and can make one hole groups with 69 grain Sierra HPBT.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts