70 Years Ago - Prices for Rifles

My "blast from the past" only goes back about 57 years. Bought my first centerfire rifle @ 14 …..a Winchester Model 88 in .308 Win. It was $112 as best I can remember, I'd have to find the receipt to be certain.

It took me quite a while picking up enough pecans plus an occasional lawn mowing @ $2.50 to get the money saved. I have no idea what that yard mowing would pay today. memtb
I so much wanted to get a "Nylon 66". My friend got one with a 6X scope and what a .22 semi. we shot so many squirrels with that rifle. I wanted to get the next model the "77" because it had a magazine to load instead of through the stock tube. The "66" was $66 and the new "77" was $77. I could never reach saving up $77 after having three jobs.

I so much wanted to get a "Nylon 66". My friend got one with a 6X scope and what a .22 semi. we shot so many squirrels with that rifle. I wanted to get the next model the "77" because it had a magazine to load instead of through the stock tube. The "66" was $66 and the new "77" was $77. I could never reach saving up $77 after having three jobs.

That Model 88 was my first centerfire. My Dad and I split the price of a Nylon 66 when I was 10 yo. And believe it or not…..I think that it was $66 also. I may be incorrect with that…..I don't have the receipt and I've slept some since then! 😉 memtb

That Model 88 was my first centerfire. My Dad and I split the price of a Nylon 66 when I was 10 yo. And believe it or not…..I think that it was $66 also. I may be incorrect with that…..I don't have the receipt and I've slept some since then! 😉 memtb
Todd we lived in another universe growing up!

My first rifle was a Mohawk 10C I bought with paper route money in like '74. I no longer have that rifle (I've since acquired another) but I do have the manual that came with it, and the Western Auto scope I put on it. Check out the prices for replacement parts.
Screenshot_20240120_163344_Gallery.jpg