7 stw compared to?

idaho elk hunter

I have a biased opinion that the 7mm cal is probably the best caliber in North America with the 338 following behind it. This is the foundation of my question and opinion.
The 7mm-08 is in power and velocity out gunned by the 280. Case capacity is the giving horsepower producer here.
The 280 is out gunned by the 7mm mag, for the same reason
The 7mm mag is out gunned by the 7mm STW
The STW is out gunned by the Allen Mag

But now enter the 7mm Ultra Mag as being a dysfunctional, over capacity, point of diminishing return. Pressure spiking. Inaccurate, freeboard UGLY STEPCHILD.

If this is the truth and the powders we have will not let it come into its own then how does the Allen Mag work its fame?

I fully understand the works and operating principals and truth and bs of the internet intellect but am totally lost on this one.

Examples..7mm08 is most efficient with 120 bullets, 280 up to 140, 7mm mag 160 to 175, 7mm STW 175 and up. The 7mm Ultra is very little improvement on the STW? but the Allen mag is a whole other level? WHERE?

I suspect if you knew the pressure of the 7mm AM, you would have your answer.

I know the Allen Mag has to have high pressures. It is based off the Lapua from what I hear. But the Ultra Mag has high pressures also. Is the Ultra underrated, if so then what can it do compared to the Allen Mag. I personally believe that when the old fashioned 7mm Rem is loaded with todays new powders it matches the STW and is much more efficient. Given that the Stw can do it with many combinations and the & Rem can do it with VERY few

I have a biased opinion that the 7mm cal is probably the best caliber in North America with the 338 following behind it. This is the foundation of my question and opinion.
The 7mm-08 is in power and velocity out gunned by the 280. Case capacity is the giving horsepower producer here.
The 280 is out gunned by the 7mm mag, for the same reason
The 7mm mag is out gunned by the 7mm STW
The STW is out gunned by the Allen Mag

But now enter the 7mm Ultra Mag as being a dysfunctional, over capacity, point of diminishing return. Pressure spiking. Inaccurate, freeboard UGLY STEPCHILD.

If this is the truth and the powders we have will not let it come into its own then how does the Allen Mag work its fame?

I fully understand the works and operating principals and truth and bs of the internet intellect but am totally lost on this one.

Examples..7mm08 is most efficient with 120 bullets, 280 up to 140, 7mm mag 160 to 175, 7mm STW 175 and up. The 7mm Ultra is very little improvement on the STW? but the Allen mag is a whole other level? WHERE?

Just get a 7LRM and don't worry about anything. Just load, tune, and have fun

I'm on my 2nd 7rum; my brother also shoots one. If you are running rl22, h1000, 7828, or any of the other mid-magnum powders in it, then, yes it is simply no better than the 7stw and will eat you alive with throat erosion if you let it.

Put powder in it that is at retumbo/rl25 or slower speed, and you have a different animal though. I am running over 3100 fps with 175 hornady (or 171 barnes match) with start loads using retumbo, rem brass, and 215's for fire. I am working with 168 berger pills with rl50 at present, and they show serious promise. My brother has been using retumbo with 150 grain pills (at 3400 fps+) for years and it is a hammer.

Use a slow enough powder, put a 140 grain+ slug in it (160+ is better) tune her by powder charge (the 4.1" throat doesn't allow seating to the rifling) and have at it. I've gotten 1/2 moa accuracy out of both of my 7rums without much trouble and have gotten my longest kills with my first 7rum; I have high expectations for this rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.