7 RUM load

chickm1

Factory RMEF 7 RUM. Pillar bedded, lugs and barrel lapped. With the Remington Premier Ammo, they use to make, it shot sub-MOA. That ammo is no longer made, and in fact, Remington is not making any ammo for this rifle. I have tried so many loads with various 140 gr bullets and powder, that I am sure the barrel is half life, and cannot get anything to perform. Remington tells me that their load was a blend of powders, but will not give me the data. Anyone know what powder they might have used in this round? Thanks!

ps. I am not wanting to shoot a heavy bullet/.

I can't help with the light bullets, but I just got a 7 RUM and plan to shoot 180 hybrids with a healthy dose of Retumbo and H1000 to start with. I'm confident one or both will work well .

Side note, I use 7828 with 140's in my 7 STW, similar case capacity as the RUM .

I was shooting 140gr, but a 9inch twist works great on a 168, but I am not shooting it. Have used 168 on this twist in an prone rifle.

Do you have any factory ammo left? If it still shoots accurately at least use the OAL as the starting point for seating depth.

Why not go with Nosler's data? On their loading page they say that RL-25 was the most accurate. They even mention OAL which is 3.570" for all but the E-tip.

I used to use RL-22 with 140s in my first 7 RUM. Used RL-25 with the 168s and 180s in second RUM.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/7mm-remington-ultra-magnum-rum/

Every published load I've been able to find is under 3.6" to fit in the magazine. You might also try the Nosler factory ammo, I've good luck with it in several rifles.

7RUM is a dangerous cartridge to mess up on. The pressure spikes quickly.
I worked up loads using RL 25 150 TSX and 150 TTSX on 3, 7 Rum's. And 1 with RL 25 150 Scricco's. We had no problems here in Oregon. These were all factory guns. My brother wanted to shoot 140's. I could not get the 140 TSX to shoot. Barnes had just came out with the 150 TSX , so I tried the 150 TSX and they shot great in his gun. So I switched my gun to the 150 TSX, and then the 150 TTSX. The 7 Rum was my first custom rifle, 29 inch Benchmark barrel, using 50 BMG and 180 VLDH bullets. So I have a little bit of experience with the 7 RUM.

Gunaddict , what was your experience with the 180's ? I'm just getting started with my 26" 7 RUM and I'm going to use the 180 hybrids unless the results prove unsatisfactory

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.