7 RSAUM in a Bighorn short action

Arapaho

I have searched this forum for an hour, sorry I'm a newby on the forum. I was hoping to chamber an 8 twist proof, carbon barrel in 7 RSAUM and screw in on a Bighorn origin short action. It will be a lightweight hunting rig, probably for 175 grain Nosler ABLR bullets, because I have several 100. I could switch bullets if need be but I would like to shoot at least 175s. The plan is to magazine feed and may go with a Wyatt's box to seat as long as possible. Does anyone have any real world experience with a similar setup and if so, what freebore reamer did you go with? I have seated a ABLR bullet to several seating depths to try to see where the junction is but I have not received the Wyatt's box yet so I don't know my exact seating depth. If anyone has experienced a similar scenario, I would appreciate your thoughts. I already have a couple hundred pieces of 7 saum, Normabrass, a proof barrel and an Origin action (just have to get a magnum bolthead).

I take it you're against a DBM setup?
I am not totally against it, just really not a dbm type guy for a lightweight hunting rifle. Mainly for elk in the mountains. Will a dbm setup give me more room than the Wyatt's extended internal box? I know I'll probably have to notch the ramp. Looking hard at the Sherman but definitely going to do my homework.

I am not totally against it, just really not a dbm type guy for a lightweight hunting rifle. Mainly for elk in the mountains. Will a dbm setup give me more room than the Wyatt's extended internal box? I know I'll probably have to notch the ramp. Looking hard at the Sherman but definitely going to do my homework.
DBM will normally feed better

What is your definition of LW?

I long ago have up on the Wyatts boxes due to feeding and reliability. For the extra few ozs give me a DBM every time. DBM has never kept me from killing anything in the mountains, including elk. Run binderless Accurate mags and take advantage of the 2.990 available COAL. I've done a couple handfuls of SAUMs/WSMs/PRCs on short actions and notching the feed ramp ain't no thing....

Orgin 7 SAUM, 1/8 Brux #3 finished at 22". Weighs 8lbs 12ozs as pictured, but I could easily shave a full lb-lb and half off that rifle loosing the rail, heavy Burris rings (going with Talley rings) and swapping out the 28-30oz Manners EH1. I'm seriously thinking about adding a Manners Ultra Classic to the line up and play stock swaparoo depending on the use at hand. 17-18oz stock is crazy good....
f7sMiX4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I'm at 9lbs now with 26 inch proof, AG carbon fiber stock, scope, brake and bdl bottom metal. That is unloaded. I have experienced feeding problems with dbm (probably needed tweeking) and some of them rattle. Always just liked bdl setup better on a hunting rig. If it makes more sense and is more reliable, I would go dbm. I do have a couple of rifles that are setup with dbm and just run Magpul mags and they run smooth. They are paper and steel guns though in a KRG Bravo chassis. Of course ,those mags don't have much room inside because of the thick walls but they are cheap lol.

Tweaking mag lips will do wonders...
I have not had to adjust the feed lips on any of the Accurate WSM mags. I'm running a 6.5 PRC out of one of the 308 mags now with no feeding issues.

Lots of ways to shave weight, but I wont compromise in the important stuff. IE..optics, and feeding/function.

I run an AICS 308 mag in my 6.5 sst (700 sa) I removed the front plate, which gives you another .080" on the aics, and spread the feed lips about .080" and it feeds like butter. An Accurate mag for a wsm should work great with mods.

Tweaking mag lips will do wonders...
I have not had to adjust the feed lips on any of the Accurate WSM mags. I'm running a 6.5 PRC out of one of the 308 mags now with no feeding issues.

Lots of ways to shave weight, but I wont compromise in the important stuff. IE..optics, and feeding/function.
Cool, what does the inside of your mag measure? I know I have to allow for a little room. I actually thought about going with an M70 action because they are more of a medium action. I just love my 300 WSM and would need to find another donor. Plus I need to dress this origin action with something and I love the SAUM.