7 WSM in M70 short action?

angus-5024

I was wondering if many guys are shooting the 7 WSM and if they can fit long bullets in the mag.
Im looking at buying a M70 coyote lite, i figured it was time to stop shooting whitetales with my .338 RUM. The 7 WSM seems to fit the bill, but i need to load the long and skinnies.
Not interested in any other caliber.
Thanks.

I have one. Works great. Started as a coyote 300 wsm then rebarreled it to 7wsm. I think I remember when it was a 300 short I was shooting a 208 amax with an oal of 3".

unfortunatley It would be on the factory short action. Being the only income in a young family doesnt lend itself to custom builds (not to mention I live in Canada and smithing is way overpriced).

I would be buying a M70 coyote lite, but if I need to take up alot of the case for bullet seating I would buy a 7 REM. I was hopeing that the WSM would do well, letting me lose 2 1/2" of barrel and action (over the Rem mag).

I have a 300WSM in a M70 Coyote. I am definitely limited on OAL with longer bullets. I can load 165gr NAB's pretty much to the lands, but 168TTSX's need to be about 30 thou off (they shoot well here). If you need super high BC bullets for your application, and need to fit to mag length, WSM will not give you a ton of OAL flexibility. My 300WSM maxes at 2.958"

As a side note, I got into a discussion on this with a smith doing an unrelated build for me. He is wary of WSM's built on long actions with internal mags - says he has seen lots of feeding issues. Box mags work based on his experience. FWIW.

unfortunatley It would be on the factory short action. Being the only income in a young family doesnt lend itself to custom builds (not to mention I live in Canada and smithing is way overpriced).

I would be buying a M70 coyote lite, but if I need to take up alot of the case for bullet seating I would buy a 7 REM. I was hopeing that the WSM would do well, letting me lose 2 1/2" of barrel and action (over the Rem mag).

There is a Berger Bullet Tech Data sticky in this forum.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-bullets-tech-data-list-39871/

At the bottom of the first post there is a link to the data. You can do the math by adding the nose length of let's say a Berger 180 Hybrid (.850), bearing surface (.459) to the case measurement at the shoulder neck junction (1.856) and subtract the mag length (3.010 in my Coyote mag box) and you get .155 or more of bearing surface plus tail into the case which isn't too bad. The 7 RM would allow more efficient seating of the bullet and case space.

My max length on factory winchester box was 3.05 if you want to load them in the mag. If you are ok single loading my chamber on factory M70 was a little longer. I think that's plenty long to push heavy bullets at reasonable speed. I was getting 2835 with 180s and factory barrel and H1000. If that's what you can get your hands on then you can make it work. Just got my custom 7 wsm back and coal is in the 2.9 range so I can load the mag full and still have room to chase the throat. I am shooting the 180 SMKs. I good comprise would be a 160s (162 amax great bullet)class bullet but its hard to not want to launch those "long and skinnies"....as you said.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.