7 mm Ultra Mag Reloading Tips ( 7mm Tejas )

If you are going to hunt you should only use 110 ttsx barnes bullet /this will reduce recoil /increace speed/flaten trajectory should get around 4000 fps with no problem this bullet is the shiz .

Using 110gr bullets in a cartridge of this size isn't even logical. This cartridge is designed to push heavy high bc bullets fast. If you want to use light bullets with little recoil use a 7mm08.

I did some 7mm-300 RUM's in 1999 and never did any more. Severe throat erosion at 500 rounds. Good luck with yours but from experience I would work up a load quickly and put it on the shelf for limited hunting duty only. That way it can last you many years. This is not a rifle to shoot in the off season. A shot before season to zero, kill your game with it and park it till next season.

Is there a similar round called the 7mm tomahawk? Basically an improved 7rum?

I had a Lazzeroni Tomahawk barrel made on a TC encore platform by Virgin Valley Custom, (when they still existed). It did these kinds of velocities with 140's, but not 180's, though I could only approach 7mm rem mag ballistics with it because approaching max loads they would stick in the barrel and the TC extractor would not remove them. It was a nifty little cartridge idea, but in the real world not any better than my 7mag was at the time IMO. All the gains in powder consuption efficiency were eaten up by brass @ $2 each, and $113 dies :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.