7 mm Ultra Mag Reloading Tips ( 7mm Tejas )

Bare with me guys but i am new to this sight and to the reloading.... I have recently purchased a custom rifle from a guy in town and he did not have any of the reloading information with the gun.... Basically i have a Remington 700 Sendaro 7mm RUM that has been turned into a 7mm Tejas from Performance Guns... It has had a 50 degree shoulder put in it along with the rest of the goodies... The information i am looking to obtain would be how many grains of powder would be good place to start to dial this gun in? Any information on this would be appreciated, Thanks again Dustin

If it is an improved 7RUM then you could start with 7RUM loads, be careful reducing loads too much though as I have heard people have had problems downloading the slow burning powders that work best in the 7RUM.
Most people recommend downloading 10% and then work up. You probably need to only reduce loads about 5%.
Retumbo is probably a good powder to use.

Hope this helps.

Stu

Brad Stair the maker of these guns told me to start at 5% over max listed load for the standard rum. He also told me that his 7mm tejas had shot over 2500 rounds and still grouped great with a 180 berger at 3400 fps from a 27" barrel.

He said it had something to do with the shoulder angle causing the fire cones most intense heat to contact inside the brass instead of the throat but all i know is the speeds are incredible.

Try a starting load of 88.6 grains of Retumbo and a 180 grn. Berger Hunting VLD and you should reach a max of about 93.03 grains with Rem. brass and Fed 215m primers. IMR 7828,H1000 also work well and you could also give the 168 grn.Hunting VLD a try. Good luck.

gun)

Any new on what the 7mm Tejas is running the 180 grain bergers at?? Looking for real life info. Heard something about 180 berger 3300! Just wondering if anyone has really seen this thing fly. Thanks for any replies in advance!

Okay, here is the best information yet on the 7mm Tejas Ultra Mag. I have found great success! Shooting the 180 berger vld at between 3400 and 3500 fps! I am shooting 7/16 groups.....
Here are two loads to start with and work up from there watching your pressures!
1. Retumbo start with 96 grains with an o.a.l. of 3.65
2. Hogdon us 869 starting with 100 grains o.a.l. of 3.65

Try seating your bullet to touch the lands... if it is too long for magazine, back it of .040 at a time... My gun loves 3.65 oal....

It will be tough to beat the speed and ballistics of this gun! Good luck, and shoot strait!:)

Would you be willing to send me a round? No powder of course but with bullet in and all. Just no powder or primer? I will pay shipping. I really want to see if it will fit my mag at your specs before i go reaming a barrel. Sounds like you have a real shooter friend!

I am not comfortable sending you a case... I believe it is patented and I certainly dont want to get into trouble...
The case is fire-formed and the entire case is enlarged including the shoulder is squared to approx. 50 degrees...
I am able to get 5-10% more powder into the case... pressures are touchy...

My buddy is shooting 3325 with 96.5 grains Retumbo
My other buddy is shooting 3300 with 104 grains US869
I know another guy shooting 3340 with 102 grains US869

Some guys are neck sizing to .311...
I am at .313...

Good luck... shoot strait...:)

If you are going to hunt you should only use 110 ttsx barnes bullet /this will reduce recoil /increace speed/flaten trajectory should get around 4000 fps with no problem this bullet is the shiz .

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts