7.62x39 soft points that expand???

gooseman

Do to circumstances that I don't like, going to be forced to carry the AK47 in the truck and on the tractor at all times in the field....Does anybody have any experience with soft points in the steel cased stuff that actually expands? Most of the stuff that I've looked at are bi-metal bullet construction, know the steel jacketed will penetrate quite well. Wonder if there's any chance of something that will behave like true soft points, S&B, Prvi Part?? Really don't want to carry 60 rds of Hornady or name brand ammo unless absolutely necessary just because of the cost factor. Shooting a couple of the bi-metal hollow points into cedar trees doesn't look like they expand enough to show. Could use any experience that anybody has and willing to share

I personally would recommend hornady steel cased v-max or winchester supper X if I was loosing sleep over expansion but............wolf hp rounds will typically shed there jacket and mushroom there core often giving two wound channels side by side after a few inches of close range penetration. With in it's practical range of 200+/- yards the cartridge does ok on thin skinned animals. Just like anything if you want the absolutely best performance it will cost more. What are you expecting to be targeting? Wolves, lions, tigers, bears, Zombie hordes ?

Do to circumstances that I don't like, going to be forced to carry the AK47 in the truck and on the tractor at all times in the field....Does anybody have any experience with soft points in the steel cased stuff that actually expands? Most of the stuff that I've looked at are bi-metal bullet construction, know the steel jacketed will penetrate quite well. Wonder if there's any chance of something that will behave like true soft points, S&B, Prvi Part?? Really don't want to carry 60 rds of Hornady or name brand ammo unless absolutely necessary just because of the cost factor. Shooting a couple of the bi-metal hollow points into cedar trees doesn't look like they expand enough to show. Could use any experience that anybody has and willing to share

I had very good luck with prvi partizan, but it is getting hard to find for some reason.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.