Will 178 AMAXs expand reliably?

jcpython357

I asked Chris Matthews this same question on a e-mail, but would like more input from other hunters who have used and have seen what they can or can't do on deer. I'm reloading for a 300WinMag with the 178AMAX, and I guess I'm worried if the fellow I'm reloading for is going to have any expansion problems with it, I can't see where it would do any worse than the Barnes or Failsafes, seeing that they have a solid copper bullet up front, and a hollow point to help initiate expansion. Do I or the guy I'm reloading for have anything to worry about with these bullets? Thanks, Jay

The problem you may face is not expansion but over expansion. The Amax is a lightly constructed bullet not designed for high vel. impact into game. My tests have shown that they penetrate 2/3 as much as a Nosler BT at high impact vel.

So from a win mag, the potential for impacts at close range of 3000fps is there. That would not be the best thing for this bullet. If impact vel are around 2500fps and slower, this will make an excellent deer bullet. For LR shots, this bullet would be very good.

Just use the bullet appropriately...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.