7-08 and Heavy bullets

Some say that you have to have a case capacity that optimizes a given bullet. I say a given bullet can really optimize a given cartridge.

How many grains of powder does it really take to optimize a 208 AMAX or 215 hybrid? It's subjective. Regardless, the 208 optimizes the 308 big time. The same is true of the 162 AMAX/708 combo.

The 708 doesn't do the 162 justice but the 162 does the 708 justice. Don't worry about the naysayers. If it increases your effective range, it's optimum.

I'm not worried about magazine length. I am assuming you loaded the 168's to mag length with unimpressive results?

Heres what I've found so far:
Some say NO
Some compare it to the 308 which people are shooting 215's out of
Few have said yes

Hodgdon says they're pushing 175gr Nosler Partitions 2515fps w/ h4831.

no , like I said the accuracy was ok . I just couldn't get enough velocity from my 24" bbl . here are a couple pics of the same target shot at 400 yards . the conditions were bad enough that I couldn't see the first three holes , so I walked out to check my target , then I couldn't keep the other two shots with the group . I have wrote on the target that 9.75 moa elevation is needed to hit @ 400 with the 168's . ( my 140 berger needs 4.8 ele @ 400 and 10.0 @ 625 ) my velocities are also wrote on the target . I had them going faster but the accuracy was not as good . all I can say is you'll just have to try it for yourself , you might be well pleased with your results .

I would say before you take to the range and spend the time, figure out what you think the best case for vel will be with the prospected bullet. Take that to the ballistics calc and compare with the smaller bullet. See how the two bullets compare for drop and drift. At some point down range usually the heavier higher bc bullet will catch the faster lower bc bullet for drift and sometimes drop. Sometimes it is too far down range to make a diff for hunting. The other thing you want to check is if the longer bullet will have enough stabilization to utilize its bc potential in your barrel. Another thing that for me is worth looking at when comparing the two bullets on paper is the max pt blank range. The faster bullet will usually have a much better max pbr. Weigh that into your decision. After comparing the best world scenario on paper and it looks like the heavier bullet will give you the gains you are looking for, then go get it done.

This may save you some range time and resources or confirm what you were hoping for.

Steve

I'm loading the heavies for a reason, elk, and it seems [on paper] that my effective range is massively increased w/ the heavier bullet. Not only is my KEV increased but the velocities are adequate as well. From my perspective if it is increasing my effective range then my mid ranges will be met w/ more energy as well.

I'll work up a load when I have some time.

I'm loading the heavies for a reason, elk, and it seems [on paper] that my effective range is massively increased w/ the heavier bullet. Not only is my KEV increased but the velocities are adequate as well. From my perspective if it is increasing my effective range then my mid ranges will be met w/ more energy as well.

I'll work up a load when I have some time.

Then it should be worth trying.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.