7-08, 120gr. sierra bullets & reloader15

Waynard

Hi guys, looking for velocity for the 7-08 with 120 gr. Sierra P.H. bullet and 43.5 grs. of Reloader 15 powder. I'll be shooting it out of a Savage with a 22 inch barrel. My guest is about 2900 F.P.S.. gun)

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. Elmer Keith

Hi guys, looking for velocity for the 7-08 with 120 gr. Sierra P.H. bullet and 43.5 grs. of Reloader 15 powder. I'll be shooting it out of a Savage with a 22 inch barrel. My guest is about 2900 F.P.S.. gun)

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. Elmer Keith

You should be around 3000 ft/sec with that loading and barrel length.

Varget and H414 also work well with the 120 grain bullets if the rifle doesn't like Re 15.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks, J E Custom, I was looking for a little more info but I guest there's not to much interest in the 7-08. I'll try some H414 with that combo, I have some on hand.gun)

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot . Elmer Kieth

Thanks, J E Custom, I was looking for a little more info but I guest there's not to much interest in the 7-08. I'll try some H414 with that combo, I have some on hand.gun)

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot . Elmer Kieth

The 7/08 Is one of my favorite cartridges and for deer it is hard to beat.

I have rifles chambered in most calibers up to .45 cal and I still take my 7/08 with me every time
I go hunting for deer size game and hogs.

I have two very good loads for the 120 grain Ballistic tip and they are as follows.

120 Blist tip, CCI Br2 primer, 49.5 grains of H414 for 3010 ft/sec .

120 Blist tip, CCI Br2 primer, 45.5 grains of Varget for 3130 ft/sec.

Both loads will shoot less than 1/10th MOA (.053 and .071 respectively).

The H414 is a little hot when the temp goes over 90o so keep an eye on it in hot weather.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks, J E Custom , The 120 gr Nos. Ballistic Tip? I've heard it blows apart upon impact. Some guys here in N.E. PA. have used them and are not to fond of the results. I personally have not tried them. Although, the same fellas have said the accuracy was very good. And the way things are going, Ballistic tips might be the only bullet I can purchase here in the future. Have you had any problems with B.Tips? gun)

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. Elmer Kieth

From what I have read, the 120 BT has a thicker jacket. This was a request of silhouette shooters. The 120 BT from the research I have done, seems to be the go to bullet for the 7-08.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.