6x284

25A0D, the bottom line is my previous 6x284 was shooting the 87grn V-Max at 3730 to 3750 with only 53grns of H4350. I am sorry if you think that's not true, however, it is. Maybe, the environment and element I was shooting in made a difference, and I was also using a 1-12 twist barrel which allowed me to push the bullet faster. I shoot at an elevation of about 2500 feet above sea level, so maybe that helped. All I know is my 6x284 was shooting this velocity with the 87grn V-max with no problem. I am betting a 25-06, with 53grns of H4350, an 87grn V-Max, and a 30" barrel, with a slower twist rate, would push an 87grn V-Max at 3700 to 3750 fps. Anyhow, thanks for the concern.

I never said it wasn't true... just that is wasn't practical.

I'm not concerned about you... I'm concerned about anyone else who'd try to push it that hard. Blow yourself up, that's ok... give someone else bunk info and have them blow themselves up, that's lame. ~JT

Thanks for not worring about me, I am really sad.

I worke up to my loads, and I suggest all people work up to these types of loads too. I am sorry, but this was not a hot load in my rifle. I went all the way up to 54grns of H4350, before I started getting heavy bolt lift and that's when I backed off and stuck with the 53grn load. It handled it with no problem, so it is practicle if you have the right equipment. Anyhow, I think your getting too upset over this issue. I am sorry, but I got 3730 to 3750fps with the 87grn bullet and there were no presure signs, and no sign of brass issues, that's all I was trying to saying. I was just giving people my experience with the 87grn bullet out of my 6x284. Sorry, if you think I am trying to blow people up, I take offense to that comment.

I understand your concern, however, you make it sound like I am trying to hurt people and that's not cool. You should think before you say things. I've admitted when I am wrong or have apologized when I said somthing that was not correct. You know, and I know there are those that are putting way more powder in there 6x284's than I have ever mentioned, so I would appreciate an apology.

Wildcat

I apologize for being honest. I never even insinuated that you were trying to hurt anyone, or blow them up. I also never called you a liar, or anything else to that effect. I do think that you're a bit irresponsible with velocity claims and expectations of cartridges, but there are a lot of guys that do the same... hell I was one of them once. I'm not calling you out... just stating that my experience is contrary to yours, and I feel that expecting to see the kind of velocities you're claiming is asking for trouble. You do seem to have a lot of experience with high end custom long range rigs, I on the other hand do not. I'm just a plain ole'hunter, one who shoots a lot of critters and owns but one custom rifle currently. I have some experience with the 6/284 and I've never seen one do 3600 with an 87 in 4-5 different guns. I'm sure your rifles do the things you claim, and I'm sure you're a competent shooter and reloader. I didn't want to get you all upset, Chill out brother. Come on out when you get that new 6/284 built and we'll run it over the Chrony, I'll put my foot in my mouth, then we can go pummel some chucks. ~JT

OK, we will call it good.

I am being very honest with my load, and I am not claiming anything that's not true about the velocity. I was getting 3730 to 3750fps with my custom rig. I was using a 30", 1-12 twist barrel and this allowed me to push the bullet a little faster without the presure issues. I know two guys, I shoot with out at the range, who are getting the same velocities with the same load and barrel type. I am being very honest about my velocitiy claim with my 6x284.

I know my latest claim of getting 4000+fps with my original 300-WSM and 125grn BT project was challeged for quite some time. After further reserch and some more advice from others, I realized it was not feasible to get that velocity with the 300-WSM with 125grn BT. I told everyone that I was wrong, and they were right on that topic. I really believed it was possible to get 4000+fps with 125grn BT and the 300-WSM, because I was being told that by a very respectable gunsmith. Maybe you can get 4000+fps with a 125grn BT an 300-WSM. However, once I saw the info, ss7mm provided me, I was covinced I would not be able to get 4000+fps with the 300-WSM. I decided to go with the 6x284 and the VLD bullets.

Anyhow, the bottom line is the 6x284 is an awesome long range varmint rig and if the rifle is set up right, it will reach speeds of 3700+ with an 87grn V-Max. However, please work up your loads slowly and watch for signs for pressure.

I am not being irresponsible, I am only informing those about what I have attained with my equipment and the 6x284. I have been shooting since I was about 6, so I know how to shoot, and I began reloading when I was 13, so I am pretty knowledgeable and safe about reloading and know when enough is enough.

Anyhow, I am not upset. Have a great night and thanks for the coversation. I will say though, you are right on one thing, there are those that push it way tooooooooooo much. However, I am not one of them. Great debating with you, and I hope to get more advice in future posts. I value everyones comments, even when it's critical. Have a good one 25AOD, I hope to here from you in the future.

What is your custom rifle, can you give me some specs. I love to her about her.

Wildcat

I just want to say, that with a custom built rifle that has been squared and trued with the lugs lapped in, that by the time you see sticky bolt lift that you are way over 60,000 psi probable close to 80. John Barnsess wrote an article about this and verified this with pressure epuipment. A factory chambering will usally show excessive presure signs way before a properly bolt custom rifle will.He also proved that if a reloader is shooting a much higer velocity than normal then the pressure is higher than normal.As long as you are useing the proper burn rate powder you can be certain that higher than normal velocity is also higher than normal pressure. In one rifle JB recorded nearly 80,000 psi belore traditional excessive pressure signs began to show up

Widcat you continue to claim your velocity was without presure signs.Well if there were no pressure signs then how did the bullet get out of the barrel?

jwp... that's exactly my point. Thanks for helping me explain it better. Also, as case size increases that extra 15-20K PSI puts a lot more stress on the action. 75K in a 6/284 is a lot less than 75K in a 300 RUM. Keep that in mind too. ~JT

I don't think that he wants opion and sound advice,I think that he is only looking for those that will agree. Instead of taking advice and opions when given, he comes back and tells everyone why they are wrong and he is right,I say let him do it his way he may or may not get away with it,but it's his choice......

I think your way off base. I agree there is presure, that goes without saying. What I am trying to say is, I was showing no signs of presure, I had no signs of primer flattening, abnormal case strecting, loose primers, ect. I know custom actions don't show the normal signs of presure and you have to be safe when working up your loads.

I don't think you have read all of my posts, because I do want opinions and advice, and I will admit when I am wrong. I don't want others to agree with me, if they think I am wrong, debate me, and if I am wrong, I will admit it. One more thing, when I have told people they were wrong, and I was right and someone proved to me that I was wrong and they were right, I admitted it and thanked them for there help. For example, I just changed my upcoming project from a 300-WSM to a 6x284, because I was wrong about what I thought it could do, others debated me and proved to me that I was wrong and going in the wrong direction. So please, don't make an assessment about me that is not true.

I am not affraid to ask questions, give advice, speak my mind, defend myself, or tell individuals about what I have achieved with my individual projects knowing it might be criticized. I am not affraid to take constructive criticism, take advice, admit when I am wrong, but I don't like it when someone like you makes a wrong assessment about me.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying your lying... just shooting some pretty hot loads. I could probably get a 6/284 to shoot 87's at 4000 and using the right components "see no signs of pressure", but that don't make it right. If a 25-06 won't shoot 87s that fast... a 6/284 sure as hell won't.
I've owned a couple of 6/284s and never seen one get anywhere near that kind of velocity. In fact, my 6mm Rem is a frog's hair slower than my 6/284 was with any bullet. I just tend to notice a trend of excessive velocity claims from a number of members on this board... and I'm sure they all have probably seen those numbers on their Chronys. But that doesn't mean it's what should be expected within the normal realms of pressure. Just because your heart doesn't palpatate doesn't mean your blood pressure isn't way too high either... but gone undiagnosed/untreated it can lead to bad things. Same can be said of reloading... just because you don't see the signs of excessive pressure doesn't mean they aren't there. The best sign of excessive pressure is velocities that are out of wack... that's all I'm saying.

And like Momma always used to say:
"It's better to put a sign at the top of the cliff... than an Ambulance at the bottom!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not had a 6x284 but you said a 25-06 wont shoot
3750 fps with 87 grain bullets.
I have a 28" barrled 25-06AI and it does shoot 87 grain bullets at 3920 FPS and they are not to hot I have been shooting them for 25 years with the same barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.