6x284 Norma Info

Sounds like you have a good set up right there! Way easier then my set up haha. when i necked down my 6.5x284 Lapua brass i first took out the seating stem of the seater die and ran the brass through it for the first pass. It slightly sizes down the neck then the final pass through the full length sizer die finishes it up. I had to neck turn my brass because my chamber has a .274" neck and a loaded unturned piece of brass was .275". As far as the barrel life thing goes. It all comes down to how hard you push whatever bullet you end up shooting. Pressure and heat have alot to do with it. Pushing a 55gr bullet at 3500fps will yield a longer barrel life then a 105gr bullet at the same 3500fps because of the pressures and heat it takes to get a heavy bullet moving. But thats not saying shooting lighter bullets will help barrel life. You might ask some of the guys that have a few of these 6x284 barrels under their belt if they have any tricks or advice on barrel life. I'd say just rip them heavies as quick as you accuratly can cause thats why we get a cartridge like this instead of a small 6mm!

Thank you for your well written reply...I am also from the group that wants to "rip them heavies"...I guess that I will have to put in for a replacement barrel sooner than later...thanks for the heads up...

If this is true...I am looking forward to pushing a 105 or 110 @ close to 3500fps from my 28" barrel...my need to order more RL26...

Greetings from NZ
Looking for HELP with LRH for new 6x284 Norma 7Twist, 32", Rem LA,
upload_2019-12-31_10-30-56.jpeg

That is a long *Rule 4 Violation* gun!!!
By the way, every inch of barrel provides you 35 FPS faster —- allows you to use a cooler softer load for same velocity. sooo when having A caliber with an abbreviated short barrel life this is an efficient of getting more life with less powder for the same or faster velocity. Get a reality grip with your rule four posting and good luck to you too mate.

So ive been a member here for almost 3 yrs but dont post at all. I read for hours and have gotten tons of info from this forum. I wanted to kinda indroduce myself and also ask if anyone has some updated 6x284 Norma load data. I searched for info but everything is 3-10yrs+ old. Does anyone have any updated load info with some new powders? I just put this barrel on the rifle. Its a switch barrel/bolt rifle. 6x284 Norma and 6.5 SAUM. Its a long action so both rounds have very long throats. I should be breaking in and testing the 6.5 SAUM this week sometime. Heres some info on the rifle....

Trued Rem 700 Long Action
28" Muller Works Marksman contour barrel
1-7.75 twist 4 groove
Manners T5A Midnight camo
Surgeon DBM
Timney 510 trigger
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 & Steel Nightforce rings.
20moa Farrell pic rail
View attachment 90971
Ive been mainly using RL26 for the first 40rds down the tube. Tried RL33, it duplicated the RL26 velocity but with 6-7gr more powder. Anyway, like i said above, if you have any info on a good load for the 6x284 feel free to post whatever you want. It seems like the 6x284 Norma isnt as popular as it once was? She's a hotrod barrel burner but thats fine by me. I plan on running it as close to max as accurately possible. I'd like to get a good starting point for some 87gr VMax or any other varmint popping bullet that wont explode before it gets to the target. Thanks

I'd leave the hybrid alone and tweak a little on the seating depth and charge on the ELD.

You're very close.

Have run them through a Chrony to get your ES? Generally all ese being equal the lower the ES the tighter the group. If you have a solid singel digit or low double digit ES in the teens I'd work on the seating depth advancing and retreating from current a few thousandths at a time to see if it tightens up.

Thank you for your advice. I agree 100% with finding a load and sticking with it. I have almost 60rds down the tube now and ive tried the 3 bullets i wanted to try and found my loads (108's and 87's) along with some long range steel shooting. I dont plan on doing anymore load development. The Satterlee method has really sped up my load development.

Keep in mind you're still in the breakin period and probably should not even worry about groups at this point.

I'd be cleaning the snot out of it sarting with five rounds, clean, ten rounds, clean 20, 30, 40.

Doing that while chronographing will tell you when it is properly "seasoned" as suddenly you'll see a bit of a gain in velocity and tightening of the groups irrespective of anything else changing.

When your'e there,clean the snot out of it again and shoot the two groups again. See where you're at for group size.

By the way, every inch of barrel provides you 35 FPS faster —- allows you to use a cooler softer load for same velocity. sooo when having A caliber with an abbreviated short barrel life this is an efficient of getting more life with less powder for the same or faster velocity. Get a reality grip with your rule four posting and good luck to you too mate.

If you type a bad word or even a possibly bad or even a word the admins don't like they are cropped out and rule 4 violation is automatically inserted. I even tried to get around it and use symbols and it caught me. I still think that is a longass gun.

Dennis, please cooperate....

Len Backus

Last edited by a moderator:
If you type a bad word or even a possibly bad or even a word the admins don't like they are cropped out and rule 4 violation is automatically inserted. I even tried to get around it and use symbols and it caught me. I still think that is a longass gun.
It is a long barrel by design.... no cost difference for a 16" or 32" - same price. The barrel life significantly increased keeping the same accuracy velocity with much less charge or pressure. I can use non magnum primers, softer more accurate loads without compromising long range accuracy. There was good reason why the old Hawkeye flintlocks had very long barrels. We went away from long barrelled factory rifles to appeal to mass production and shipping size limitations - not for accuracy. And if you took note these are carbon fibre wrapped barrels so you don't suffer carrying the weight of a canon to go hunting. This barrel is a bull barrel size and has the same functionality as it's steel counterparts except it weighs considerably less. This rifle all up is less than 8lbs. So I get the best of both worlds— a 32" long bull barrel that is lighter than a sporter configuration. Maybe that applies to your rule 4 ambiguity - I just thought I might try to inform you that - often appearances are not at all what they seem. Yes it's a very long state of the art long barrel.

I was just explaining it. I think some word restrictions are maybe a little too much over the top but I'll try.

Len's house, his ground rules. We can cooperate or not come over to play. We know enough to get our point across in a non- offensive way when we want.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts