.338 Norma, any info?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by midwesthunter, Feb 19, 2010.

1. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

Any one know where I can get some more info on this cartrige? I read the review on this site. But looking for more over all info.

2. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that is about the most comprehensive read on that caliber I have found. I found it to be very informative though. I like the idea of a cartridge that can keep up with the RUM, Edge, and Lapua in a tighter package. If I should go to a bigger caliber, it will more than likely be the 338 Norma. The ballistics that I want are there. With the coming of higher BC 338 bullets being produced, it will be a real cannon. One thing to remember is that this rifle is doing it with a shorter bore than most of the big rifles. They are generally fit with 28 to 30 inch barrels. The Norma according to the author of the article said a 23.5" to 25" bore is optimum.

Tank

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010

3. midwesthunter

Thats the reason i am very intrested in it. I like the idea of not having to go to a aftermarketb detatchable mag system. The shorter barrel doesn't really make a diffrence to me other than I will prob go with a bigger diameter barrel since I will be saving wieght in length.

4. liltank

I'm right there with ya. I'm thinking a 25" in a #5 fluted with break shooting 250grn something (probably Hornady BTHP) would be my set up. I will more than likely use a Howa 1500 barreled action suited for the 375 Ruger or the Savage Target action.

Tank

5. gbp

gbp Well-Known Member

wonder over to snipershide and search through the 1000 yd section, you will find pages and pages on it

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  6. RJ338

RJ338 Well-Known Member

I have one in the works right now. I used a Rem 700 action and a H S detachable mag to let me seat the 300MK to the base of the neck with an OAL
    of 3.60 . There is quite the article on this on Snipershide with many loads.

7. midwesthunter

Thanks, guys

8. Limbic

Limbic Well-Known Member

what is the bolt face?

9. liltank

.585"