6X284 Load Developement w/87grn V-MAX (Wow!!!!)

wildcat

Hello all, as some of you may know, I received my 6x284 last week. So, today was the big day for barrel brake in and possible load developement.

The morning started out at 0500, took a shower, started the coffee, packed some lunch and drinks, packed the Ford F250, and away I went. Weather was perfect. I started the morning off with the break in on the 30", 1-12 twist Krieger. It only took about 20 rounds to brake her in. Of course this took some time. I fired 8 shots and cleaned after every shot. I then cleaned every 2 shots, for three times. Finished up barrel break in firing two, three shots goups. Barrel break in was very quick with the Krieger, breakin was probably finshed after the 10 shot, however, I went through the whole deal just to be sure.

Now, on with the load developement. As many of you know I have posted many times asking questions about load data using the 87grn and 75grn V-Max. I had this rifle built to shoot the lighter bullets, that's why I went with the 1-12 twist barrel. I also wanted to shoot these bullets at a very high velocity, I was hoping to get close to 3800 fps with the 87grn V-max with excellent accuracy. Well, all I can say is that I am one HAPPY DUDE.
After barrel break in, I fired my first three shot group at 100 yards, the group was AWESOME!!! it measured .218. and the velocity was around 3670 to 3690fps. The load consisted of;
1. 52.5grns H4350
2. Fed210M Primer
3. 87grn V-Max

I did not think it could get better then that, but it did! My next three shot group was AWESOME, AWSOME, AWESOME!!!!! it measured .168, and my next three shot group measured .190, and here is the best thing, the velocities were between 3730 and 3750fps!!! There were no presure signs with this load, so that makes it even better. I wanted to get 3800fps, but hey, that's close enough. I had some hotter loads to test, however, I was really happy with this load, I am going to stick with it and make it my dedicated load in this rifle. Here are the contents of the Winning load;
1. 53.2grn H4350
2. 87grn V-Max, .005 off lands
3. 210M Primeer
4. Lupa Brass
5. C.O.L 2.865
6. Velcocity between 3730 to 3750 fps
7. Shoots in the high .1's out my rifle
7. Brass was neck turned, flash holes cleaned, uniformed primer pockets, trimmed, checked for runout, ect.

I was very impressed with the 87grn V-Max. I know it's not the BC King, but for the blow up power it provides, it's one hell of an all around bullet. With a BC of .400, I should be in good shape out to 800 to 1000 yards. I am very excited, this is going to be one hell of a varmint rig. All 6MM's seem to be the perfect varmint rifles, no matter which one you choice. Anyhow, I am very excited about this rifle, I can't wait to take it varmint hunting next year.

Wildcat

Way to go with the new varmint stick! Let us know how it shoots at the longer ranges. That is one of the calibers I am looking at for a long range coyote getter.

Wildcat.....

Thats awesome. Glad to here it was what you expected. Going to do some load development tomorrow with the 243AI. Got my new scope mounted up today and will start in with some 95 gr bergers in the morning. Sounds like a winner to me for shooting varmits.

wildcat ,
Congratulations . Perhaps the 87gn doesn't like the 9 inch twist in my rifle because I could never get a 5 shot group under half inch .

Wizard, I will test her at long range next weekend. With groups I am getting at 100 yards, I should do pretty well at the longer ranges. I will let everyone now how she performes. You can't go wrong with either of the 6mm's, there all really good and accurate. If I were you, I would choice between the 6x284, 243 Ackley, or 6mm Ackley. These three will give you excellent accuracy, with high velocities. Good luck with your choice and let us know which one you choose.

Wildcat

TMR, let us know how she performs and give us all the details like, powder, primer, brass used, ect. By the way, what scope did you choose for your rifle.

Wildcat

Bushchook, thanks! When I was deciding on the barrel, I wanted to shoot the lighter bullets, so I decided to go with the 1-12 twist. I knew I was limiting myself when it came to bullet selection, however, I wanted this rig to be used with the light poly tipped bullets. I was going to go with a 1-10 twist, but I opted to just stick with 1-12. I am glad I did, I am very excited about the accuracy with this bullet. The BC and expansion power of this bullet should allow for some spectacular kills up close and out to 500 yards. I am thinking this baby will definently be deadly accurate out to 800 yards. I can't wait to take her PDoggin this year.

Wildcat

wildcat what does that load do at 500+ i dont think i have shot at 100 yards in the past 3-4 years. last gun i shot @ 100 would do @ .75 but @ 500 it was 1.2 inches. That was an eye opener for me.

d-a

wildcat, the other round I am looking at is the 6mm AI. I think that the smaller case might be OK for out to 600 yards, which is a long shot for me at this time.

[ QUOTE ]
TMR, let us know how she performs and give us all the details like, powder, primer, brass used, ect. By the way, what scope did you choose for your rifle.

Wildcat

[/ QUOTE ]

I went with a 6.5-20 LRT Leupold w/ varmit hunter reticle. BJ gave me a hell of a deal on it. I have to many projects going right now to buy another NF, but I probably will down the road.

Sounds like Kirby got you action for you 338......I am still held up by Nesika. They seem to be out of bolts for the M actions. Looks like December before they get them. Should work out ok.....he should have the stock and barrel by then also. Where in CA are you? Might have to meet half way and do some ground squirel shooting in Northern CA. We used to go just south of Kalamath Falls. If this rain stops today, I will go out and do some shooting. I will post results.

Travis

Wildcat,
Absolutely awesome shooting! Three groups that average less than .2" from a hunting rifle is spectacular. You should be very pleased with that set-up. Did you allow the barrel to cool between shots? And did you clean the bore between groups? The reason I'm asking is that I was curious as to why you were getting 60 fps more velocity with .3 grains less powder. I'm not trying to be picky, but I'm fairly new to this game and trying to learn as many intricate details as possible. Once again congratulations on your new gun and some very impressive shooting.
Dave

Wildcat,
WOW is right, but where are the PIC's of the new rifle !!!! and where are the PIC's of the IBS & NBRSA humbling .168 & .190 group's lets see it not just hear about it !!!!
UB

D-A, I will be testing her at 500 yards next Saturday, I will let you know how she performes.

Wildcat

Wizard, the 6mm AI is an awesome round. You will be able to shoot out to 1000 yards with 6MM AI. It will give you about 150fps gain over the 243 AI and it will be a little slower than the 6x284. Many shooters choose the 243 AI over the 6MM AI, becuase you can get Norma or Lupa brass. If you build a 6MM AI, you will not be able to get quality brass. Let us know which one you decide on. You can't go wrong with either of them. Good luck.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.