6mm Remington for LR antelope hunting

Two bullets I have not seen mentioned is the nosler partition and hornady sst. I have loaded for several .243 rifles that were used to shoot our larger northern white tails. The longest shot I have seen was 386 with a partition. The wound was supriseing from a small caliber at long range (243 win). The 95 gr sst is also a great deer bullet that has proven to be accurate and perform well and they sell for around $20 per 100. I have also seen the sst do a good job on coyotes, they appear to hold together and keep pelt damage down unlike some of the v max bullets. As for a v max for antelope, it will cause alot of damage if you slip one into the chest cavity. If the shot drifts who knows, the animal could go down just as hard or it could turn into a long day.

After hunting goats last year in Wyoming, I feel it is more important to match the cal. to conditions, not the animal. Most of us were over gunned (7mm's 300's)as far as power needed to put down a goat. Under ideal conditions a 6mm will work well a long way out. I used a 300WSM and probably would have passed up the shot if I were shooting a 6mm.

Well I made it out to the range today and loaded up some 85 grain Sierra game kings with Varget. Working the load up it liked 39.5 grains the best. Shot a nice 3/8" group and I only had a spread of 9 fps! This load pushes the bullet @ 3340fps. Only shot this gun out to 100 yards today. Now that I have a load that works at 100 yards I will see how it does out to 550 yards.

Very curious!

I've been using the same bullet, in my .243 Win. Results were INFAMOUS...almost NONE of them penetrated enough, causing only marginal, superficial damage and lots of blod shed.

In short...I'll be back with TSXs

I have my 6mm set up for yotes also with 95gr BT. For the biggame I believe I would go with the 90gr swift scirocco.Should work well a greater distances. Have not used these in the 6mm, but love them in the .270,7mm, and .30 cal.

killed a dandy buck in 98 with a 55gr (yes .224cal) BT. range was 237.

my father killed his buck two years ago with the same gun same load, range was 194.

had the range been any further we had my .264WM on deck.

dont take much to put a speedgoats lights out.

I use a 6mmAI Rem and shoot 95 or 100 Noslers. I have shot two deer so far with them and both went down. One was 75y and the other was 25y. A friend also has a 6mmAI and I have seen him kill antelope at 300+ yards and coyotes at about 25y. He uses 70g Nosler BT's. It's a great cartridge, IMHO.

I've killed several trucks full of antelope with a 6mm Rem loaded with 42.0g of IMR 4350 and 95g Partitions, really has done a great job. Also killed several big Nebraska whitetails at 300 yards with it also.

Good luck!

Well it isn't real long range but I have a feeling it would have worked this well at double the distance. Goes to show what a well placed 95 grain 6mm Berger VLD will do from a 6br which is quite slower than what you will be shooting!
brkill.jpg

brokenribs.jpg

These four broken ribs are on the far side and there were not much of the lungs left. Shot was frontal/slight quartering in the chest.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.