6mm Remington for LR antelope hunting

Andy W

I have a 6mm Remington that I had built as a coyote rig that I am considering taking with me on an Antelope hunt this fall. It consistently shoots in the .3's at 100 yards and I have shot 4" five shot groups with this gun at 550 yards. (I guess I am saying it shoots)
My question for you guys is as follows;
-What would you limit shot distance to on antelope with this caliber?
-What bullets would you suggest? It loves the sierra 70 SMK (my coyote bullet) I was considering trying a sierra 85 game king. From my experience with the 87 vmax, It should push the 85 sierra about 3400 fps.

Looking for suggestions/experience from you guys.

Thanks.

I've used the 85gr SGK od deer up to about 110lbs out of a 243 Win and it worked very well out to 300yds and those were launched about 3100fps if memory serves

I havent dealt with the sub 30 cal. smk so I cant say on those but I have had excellent results with the 87gr. vmax's on deer up to 300 yrds. I havent had a deer move yet when hit with one.

Funny you mention the 87 Vmax. I just loaded up a bunch with 2 different powders (varget and H-414). I want to get this bullet working for coyote hunting this coming year. I know not the most fur friendly, but should hit them like lightning! Anyone else shoot deer or antelope with the 87 Vmax?

Longdraw,
I am with JD on this one. I have hunted with many different rounds and I have come to the conclusion of sierra, sierra, and sierra. The gamekings will be perfect, and if you see a good one at 500 don't hesitate to take him out.
Brandon

Longdraw1970,

What twist does your rifle have. It sounds like it is set up for lighter bullets so a 1-12 may be in the barrel.

It is really hard for me to recommend a V-Max for use on big game, even pronghorns which are really not that hard to penetrate. An 87 gr V-Max would probably work extremely well but I would feel even better with an 80 gr Ballistic Tip or 95 gr Ballistic Tip.

The Ballistic Tips will penetrate MUCH more consistantly then the V-Max will on game this size.

A 1-12 twist may not handle a 95 gr BT but it certainly would an 80 gr.

Again, the V-Max would probably work just fine on pronghorn but I would personally pass on them for the stouter Ballistic Tip design or go with a bullet such as the Gameking.
Range wise, the 6mm has plenty of punch to harvest pronghorn out to 600-700 yards with a well placed shot. That will probably not be an isse. Just see where the rifle will shoot to and go from there.

If you are getting 4" groups at 550 yards from a bench, I would probably consider that to be about max range in the field as you will probably not hold bench consistancy in a field shot. Thing to do is try shooting at this range using field shooting positions. That will tell you how far you can reach. Again, the 6mm will get you to 600-700 yards easy power wise, wind drift and consistancy are other factors that will limit your max range.

Wind will be a real issue with any of these bullets at +500 yards so know how much your bullet drifts.

Kirby Allen(50)

Last year a friend of mine used a Ruger # 1 in 6mm Rem to take an antelope at over 300 yards. He was shooting the 105gr Hdy A-Max. One shot, & from the looks of the wound. the bullet had plenty of punch left at impact. I don't know the specifics of the load he was using.

Kirby,

The gun has a 10 twist barrel. I have messed around a bit with the 80-90 grain bullets, but as I originally built it for coyotes I have mostly shot the 70 grain bullets, which it likes. I will be shooting the 85 grain sierra and I will let you all know how it does with them.

My rebarreled Argentine Mauser loves the 87 grain V-Max. Load consisted of 43 grain of IMR 4350 ignited by Federal match primer. The average velocity coming out of the 28" ten twist Shilen is 3300 fps. Very good varmint round but I would never use it on deer size game. V-max were designed with varmint in mind. A better deer or Pronghorn bullet would be the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip or the 85 grain Barnes. Limit your shot to 350 yards max.
IMGP0506.jpg

I shot 85 gr Speers Boattails at small eastern whitetails from a FN mauser 240Wby in Douglas 1-10 twist. Range was usually under 100 yds. Bullets always exited. Construction is good, BC is good, accuracy is good.

I'll have to throw my lot in with Fiftydriver on this one. I used 100gr Ballistic Tips out of a .25-06 a few years back on a 200+ lb Mulie, I've also dropped 2 120+ lb antelope with them. The Mulie was close, the antelope were 225 and 390. All 3 fell like someone had flipped an "off" switch. Meat damage was absolutely minimal, but internal trauma was unreal! Flat shooting, accurate and deadly. What more could you ask?
If there's a Varget load, try that in conjunction with CCI BR2 primers.... It's a combination that's never let me down.
I realize you're talking 6mm... My .243AI is way to slow twist for other than varmint hunting, but I would think that the 6mm 95s and .25 100s would be comperable.
Coyoter

The 95gr. Combined Technologies bullet has performed well for me. The second image is a recovered bullet from a mule deer hunt several years ago. This bullet broke the deers back and went through the pelvis. I was suprised with the penitration and weight retention after hitting so much bone - however, the shot was taken at 125 yards.
The CT's and Balistic tips are essentially the same with the acception of the filmed coating. They are worth a try.
24395CT.jpg

95grCT.jpg

bulletcomparison.jpg

The third picture is of a 168 gr. CT and a 168 gr. A-Max. The CT's have a much thicker jacket (no news there).

TAC

My antelope rifle is a 6mmremAI with a 1/10 twist and I use 95gr Nosler Partitions. Most of my shots have been around 200/300yds. We have some pretty good wind in eastern Co so I always take alittle heavier rifle along just in case. Well good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.