6mm berger 95gr VLD twist rate

zoeper

I would like to try the 6mm 95 Grain Match Target VLD out of my 6mm rem Imp and want to know if any of you guys managed to stabilize them in a 1/10 twist barrel?
At present i am pushing the flat base 88grain bergers at 3530fps from a 28 1/4" Broughton barrel, but i would like to reach out beyond 700yds with my present setup. Berger suggests a 1/9 twist for the 95's but i am hoping that the 1/10 might still do it.
Any thoughts or other suggestions welcome.
P.

My 6mmBR is a Hall action, 24" 1-8 twist Bartlien HV barrel with Leupold 40X on top shot in groundhog matches to 500Meters. I have found that the 95 gr. Bib is just a little more accurate than the 95 gr. Berger out to 300. But neither is very accurate beyond that distance, so that I then switch to 105 gr. Bergers or 108 gr. Bibs. I think your 10 twist should be OK, hopefully more accurate than mine. Find a bullet with high BC for long distance.

I got them to shoot well out of a couple 1 in 10 243's pushed at 2950-3000fps.

Berger just sent me a box of the new 87gr VLD bullets to test and they are looking promising in my 1 in 10 gun. My first load put 3 in the same hole and 1 a half inch out. I haven't had time to tweak the load further yet, maybe tomorrow.

Will the 95 work for you in a 1:10" twist? It depends a lot on your altitude (above sea level). If you're above 3000 feet, it will probably work fine even in the winter. It's only if you're close to sea level that the 95's won't work in a 1:10" twist.

The 87 grain bullet was designed specifically for the common 1:10" twist barrel because the 95 grain VLD doesn't always work in the 1:10".

-Bryan

Thank all for the comments. I need a bullet that shoots well at sea level and at altitude. I will try the 95's at sea level and hopefully the extra bit of speed i get from the 6mm rem imp would be enough to give me a margin of safety.
If they do not stabilize, i will go for a shorter bullet (87gr?) that would stabilize from my barrel.
Thank you Brian for mentioning the altitude and temp factor, at least now i know where to test my loads for stability.
P

I just loaded up some 95 bergers for my 6mmAI 10 twist. Once I get out to the range I will report back.

I had a Rem. VLS rifle that came with a 1/9.25" twist rate. I tried the Berger 95 Gr. VLD in it and couldn't get that bullet to shoot, which bummed me out because that bullet is an awesome bullet like all Berger VLD's. I managed to get the 105 Gr. A-Max to stabilize ok, so I stuck with that. At least until I had a .260 Rem. barrel put on the rifle.

It will work BUT, the question is can your rifle handle the load. To get the 95 to stabalize in a 1:10 twist you really have to up your loads. Go to a faster burning powder, but be CAREFULL. Do your tests the whole time.gun)

LR6MM- Did they keyhole or just shoot a large group?? i would think the 9 twist would be plenty to stabalize the 95. i need to try some in my 12 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.