6MM-06 Akley Improved -vs- 6MM-284

wildcat

Hey guys, as mentioned before, I am building a new 6mm project. I originally was going to build a 6mm Ackley Improved, however, I decided to change to a 6mm-284, becuase I could shoot the 75grn and 90 grn bullets faster than the 6mm Ackley. I have now discovered that 6mm-06 Ackley Improved can move the 75grn and 90 grn bullets faster than the 6mm Ackely or 6mm-284. I would like to hear what you guys think about the 6mm-06 Ackley Improved, I am not worried about barrel life.

Wildcat

YOU WILL NEED A LONG ACTION FOR THIS WILDCAT. IT WILL EAT UP BARRELS BECAUSE IT IS A SCREAMER, I HAVE A 22-06 ACKLEY IMPROVED 30 DEGREE SHOULDER THAT SHOOTS 80 GR SMK ALL DAY LONG AT 3800FPS. GOOD 1000 YARD VARMINT GUN. HELL ON BARRELS THOUGH, I WOULD USE 25-06 BRASS NECKED DOWN AND MAYBE YOU CAN STAY AWAY FROM THICK CASE NECKS THAT MIGHT CAUSE PRESSURE PROBLEMS. NECK TURNING MAY BE INVOLVED, I THINK REDDING CAN SUPPLY DIES OR YOUR SMITH CAN REAM THEM FOR YOU. I USE REDDING AND WILSON DIE BLANKS FOR MINE, JUST REMEMBER THIS CARTRIDGE WILL HAVE TO BE FIREFORMED SO THAT WILL EAT UP SOME BARREL LIFE OF THIS SCREAMER ALSO BUT IF NO CONCERN FOR BARREL LIFE GET AFTER IT YOU'LL LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.