6mm Ackley Improved question

If your gunsmith hasn't got the reamer yet u might take a good look at the 6.5-55 brass. That's supposed to be a real good 6mm hot rod to work with. Besides that-- i've got dies and brass for a 6mm Vais (6 X 55 AI). And i'll give u a great deal on them.

[ QUOTE ]
wildcat,
I have a 6mmAI with a hart 1-12" tube, I would never do it again with anything but a 1-8" so I could shoot hi B.C. bullets. you say that you will be using it out to 1000yds on squirrels a 1-8" is better any day of the week than a 1-12". if you want come borrow mine so you dont waste your own money.
UB
P.S. if you really want to shoot medium weight bullets you are better off with a case of less capacity.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my 243AI project with a 30 inch tube. I've had people convince me that 1 - 8 was enough and to go with 1 - 7.25

I never intend to shoot less than 87 grain. The BC is way bad with lighter bullets

I have shot a 6MM AI with the 1-12 and 1-14 barrel. Both twists shot the bullets I want to use very well. I went with what the guys at Krieger thought was best for my cause. They informed me the 1-12 was going to be the best twist rate for the bullets I want to shoot, between 70 and 90 grain bullets, with the emphasis on using the 75grn V-MAX. I will be able to push the 75 grn V-MAX at around 3850 to 3900 fps, that's impressive anyway you look at it. The barrel I chose is of course the Krieger 28" in length, 1-12 twist, 1.250 for 5" and tappered to 1.00 at the muzzle. Thanks for the advice, but I am going to stick with what the guys at Krieger said.

Pretty much what UNC B said with a little dif and that is not much . I would go with the 7 twist as that will be good for the 115 wts that are now available as well as what is coming down the pipe and of course the 105 / 107 wts now available

Jim B.

Thanks for the info Jim, but I am really only going to be using the 70 to 90 grn bullets. As I said before, I will be using the 75grn V-MAX and Maybe the 87grn V-MAX. If I need to shoot over 1000 yards, I will use my 6.5x284, using Lupa 139GRN Scenars. Wildcat.

wildcat,
I'm not trying to argue with you,just trying to help you not make the same mistake that I did. you have stated that you want it for a 800-1000yard squirrel gun so why make it a 700yard gun with a 1-12" barrel ????? with a 1-8" or faster it is a legit 1000yard plus performer and you can still shoot your low B.C. 90's if you want.
I know 3900fps sounds good with a 75gr V-max,mine shoot's 70gr BK's at 4008fps but they are not 1000yard performers.
just for an analogy this is just like going duck hunting with a .410 shotgun WHY for the exact same money you can have a 12 guage and be far more successful.
UB

Speed does not mean anything for 1000 yards. 3000fps is high enough velocity with a bullet of a BC of .500 or better. Its far better then any low weight/low BC bullet at blistering speeds. There is always to a degree "some wind" when you shoot out to 1000 yards, with the 105g bullets and such, your wind drift is cut dramatically. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the info guys. You guys are correct, speed is not everything, however, I have a 220 Swift and I am using a 40grn V-MAX traveling at 4200 fps. I make consistant hits at 400 and 500 yards with that little bullet. I am not arguing with anybody about BC, you guys are correct about the BC factor. I have been shooting my friends 6mm Ackley, and he is using the 75grn V-MAX in a 1-12 twist. His rifle shoots incredible groups at 100 yards and is deadly accurate out to 1000 yards with that bullet. I have seen what it can do, I guess that's why I am going with that twist rate. I have been reading and hearing that the 75grn V-MAX has a pretty good BC, plus the Mist Factor will be awesome. Anyhow, thanks for all the info.

Wildcat,

I'm taking the plunge into a 6mm Rem ai also. It will be set up for 80grn Nosler's with a 1 in 13" twist.

What dies did you go with? I've only found Redding.

What brass? I've only found Win & Rem.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.