6br imp. rings some steel

goodgrouper

Despite not flying through some of that charmed Penn state flat-winded air ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif), I thought these groups were noteable even being as large as they are. They were shot from a 6br improved over a large thermal infested, toilet bowl of canyon out here in Utaarr.

The gun was a:
Bat action
Kreiger 28" 1-8" four groove
Mcmillan Edge HBR
Vais brake
Jewell 2 0z. trig
Leupold 8.5-25x50 LRT
Bat rings and bases
Owned and shot by my buddy Mark

The load is:
33.6 grains of Varget
95 gr Berger VLD jammed .010" into the rifling
Lapua case fully squared and match prepped and segregated by weight
Fed 205gm primer
Load worked up by yours truly

The load shoots at 3175 and had an unimportant( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) sd of 4 fps and clusters around .200" at 100 yards. Somedays it'll go into the .1's.

The day started out verifying a 100 yard zero and double checking the speeds on my Oehler 35 (which is apparently now gone unless you were a previous Oehler customer). SHe read 3175, 3175, 3180, 3176, 3170, and that was enough of that. Impact was right inside of the mothball and right at .200" or thereabouts.

Then it was off to shoot the 565 yard gong. RIng, ring, ring and enough of that. Now lets stretch it a bit we thought and try something a little more on par with this gun's capability.

Ebal's IPHY setting said 12.25 shooter's minutes (I think that is what it was!) to get to the 706 yard gong. One quick check over at my wind flags and I could see we had a slight tail wind at 6 o clock. "Aim at center" I told him. Bang...ringgg. Good one. That would have been a dead chuck for sure. Another quick glance at the flags and we now had 3 bars showing and green side which means that the wind had just shifted to a quartering tail wind. I told my buddy to hold just left of center one bullet splash and let it rip. Boom.....ringg. Same spot.

This kind of thing went on for three more shots and his 706 yard, five-shot group ended up like this with no bullets ever touching anything but steel:
706yardgroup.jpg

"OK" he says, "enough of this short range crap. Let's try the long gong!"

I swung the spotter out to the 1145 yard gong and asked Mr. Exbal what to do about this little bitty target way out there. He said go up 27.5 IPHY. Now, from previously shooting several thousand shots over the course of several years at this gong, we knew the average "push down" on most bullets was about 2 minutes due to the toilet bowl effect of three canyons coming together in this place and a ridge in the middle that acts like a wing and pushes everything on the lee side down. I reminded my buddy about this but 7mmrhb said, "let's just try it at 27.5 and see what happens today". So we did and I'll be darned if that first shot didn't hit that gong loud and clear! "OK" I said. "Let's hurry and get 4 more ripped off while the flags are doing the same thing".

Boom............dinggg. Boom.............dinggg. Check the flags-ok still a go! Boom..........dingg. Flag check-good. Boom...........ding. STOPPP! Let's hike out to that gong and take a picure of that group!! She ain't too bad!

An hour later after a very hot hike, I managed to take these pics of Mark's group:
1145yardgroup.jpg

6andhalf.jpg

gongandwall.jpg

Not too bad for a little 6br improved huh?
Ok, now do you want to know the scary parts? The above group shot without a bubble level (it hasn't come yet), the brass has only been shot once, this was the first time my buddy had ever shot his gun, and the gong wasn't perfectly perpendicular to us. It is a 12" gong but we only are really shooting at about a 10" surface or less!

Now do you want to know two other REALLY scary things about this gun?? The group would have been smaller, but two shots in the group were shot before the gong had quit swinging! We figured that was good for at least an inch larger group judging by how far the gong was moving around the crosshairs!

And the other scary thing is that this is only the SECOND BEST load I found with the gun! It actually preferred RL15 to Varget at every range I tested it but Mark already had bought an 8 pound jug of Varget so that's what the gun was getting for now! AMAZING!

Here's a pic of what RL15 did at 706 yards the other day with your's truly at the trigger. It goes 1 7/8":
mygroupat706.jpg

And here's a pic of the boomstick:
mn6brimp.jpg

One thing is for sure, those br's shoot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GG,

You are about as subtle as MOAG going off in each ear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the post and the boost to continue on with my own 6br project .

However it will be a lowly std. 6br , think it can still come out to play ?

Good shooting you Tahrrs !

Jim B.

GG the first three were the middle group and by the time Mark shot the forth an fifth shots the gong was swinging back to the wall. the #4 shot was the top one and hit as the gong was all the way forward ,and the fifth was the low shot which hit when the gong was all the way back to the wall. It really made the verticle stretch with the rainbow trajectory of a 6BR at 1145yds. The gun shoots great and you have to give Mark credit for doing a great job the first time out with his new toy.---7mmRHB

You forgot to mention that just as I was about to shoot at the 565 yrd gong four Mulies ( two does and two small bucks)walked right behind the gong. Then they walked straight away from us ,up the hill and stopped right behind the 706yd gong and posed for us broadside. Talk about already having your scope dialed in!!! We had been shooting for well over an hour and they didn't seem too nervous. Strange things happen at the range!!!! ---7mmRHB

How's that little stock work with the loong barrel? Seems to work alright eh?

Shoot free-recoil? Where does it balance?

Nice groups /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

"Charmed penn state air" ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JB

Goodgrouper and 7mmrhb
I like the rock at 1150 yards I believe a few of divets in the rock I can claim.
Have you heard from Stiller yet?
very exciting the 6mm br imp. Won't be to long for mine. 7mmrhb love your shiny brass work on the cases. Nothing prettier except for the boomstick! IP

Preacher, I bet you did contribute a divet or two along with the rest of us.
I suspect you are excited about your BR after seeing this post. This morning Mark , Unc B. and Old bear shot a combined group on the 1145 gong that was amazing!!! Knowing GG the shiny brass was a result of copius tumbler time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The brass ought to look at least as good as the gun, Right??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif--7mmRHB

Talked to Jerry yesterday. He got your dough but needs a description of what you wanted. I guess he forgot. I had to remind him what I ordered as well. The man needs a secretary! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The stock is a little narrower than what I would like, but at this point, I wouldn't touch a thing to change it if ya know what I mean. It is still pretty steady even if it's a 1/2" narrower than the Edge stock they were supposed to send us! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

It absolutely shoots better with free recoil than any other way. The balance is about 1" in front of the recoil lug.

[ QUOTE ]
"Charmed penn state air" ??

[/ QUOTE ]
Just wishing sometimes that our land was flat and had monsterous wind block trees so we didn't get these canyon winds and thermals that hinder newer shooter's ability to read the wind.

It still amazes me that a round this small can do this. I have a 700VS 22-250 that needs one of these barrels & the accuracy enhancements from Kirby. This is expensive reading!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I have just received word that this rifle is for sale!!!!! It has less than 400 rounds down it and with the right pilot, will win any 1k match in the country. If it was a left bolt right port instead of a right bolt, you would not be seeing it for sale at all because this dude would add it to my gunsafe in an instant.

The seller (the guy we built the gun and developed the load for) is going away from heavy guns back to walkaround rabbit guns and has no need for this gun as he is not a comp shooter. This gun was designed to be a practice gun that mimicks his 300 win mags trajectory so he could get familiar with learning wind doping without scorching his hunting rig.

Could someone possibly post this thread in the "for sale" section?? Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.