6BR for 1000 yard varminting.

wildcat

As most of you know, I am building a new long range varmint rifle. I was originally going to chamber it in 6x284, however, many varmint hunters are telling me th 6BR is the way to go. I started thinking that most of my shots will be from 400 to 600 yards, however, I will be shooting out to 1000 yards too. So, I started thinking the 6BR woulld be the way to go. My question for those of you who use the 6BR, when using the 105grn A-Max, how does it perform on varmints like squirrels and Pdogs at 1000 yards?

Also, if I go with the 6BR, will my 30", 1-8.5 twist, 4 groove barrel shoot the 70grn Ballistic Tip and the 75grn V-max bullets. I know it will shoot the 105grn A-Max well, but I will want to shoot the 70gn BT and the 75grn V-max. I heard the 6BR, with 1-8.5 twist barrel shoots everything from 70grn to 105grn bullets with excellent accuracy. However, I would like to hear your opinion.

Also, what velocity can I expect from a 30" pipe using the 70grn BT, 75grn V-Max and the 105grn AMax. I am thinking I should get close to 3500fps with the 70grn BT, 3450fps with the 75grn V-Max and 3100fps with the 105grn A-Max.

If I go with the 6BR, I am going to go with a no neck turn chamber. I will have it chambered for the Lapua brass. I read there is no need to turn the necks on the 6BR if your using the 6BR Lapua brass. This will make reloading much faster.

I look forwad to hearing from you guys. I know many of you have been trying to get me to look at the 6BR for my project. Well, I am starting to lean towards the 6BR.

Wildcat

Wildcat
My accuracy load for the 6BR with Lapua brass in a 24" 14 twist 4 groove Pac-Nor with 70gr SMK is 3550 using H-322. I am not done doing load development for the 75gr V-max but at around 3580 I started to loosen primer pockets also using H-322, I quit at 3611 but at that pressure 1 to 2 loading per case before they won't hold a primer.
This a .272 no turn neck. All my loaded rounds measure ~.2695.

General Discussion Stuff that doesn't exactly fit anywhere else. You must wear red or OD green socks to participate in this forum. Since I can't see your socks please be honest.
I'm wearing white socks. It says be honest:D.
James

I ve decided my long range rig will be chambered in a no turn neck 6BR using Lapua Barss with a .060 or .070 freebore. The freebore will allow me to shoot 70grn BT, 75grn and 87grn V-Max's and the 105grn A-Max, ect. Any info or recommendations would be great.

Wildcat

I'm kinda brainstorming a new rifle too. I really want a multi-purpose rifle for long range varminting, F-class and 1000 yard benchrest. The 6br looks great, especially the no-neck turn part. What's not to like? The best accuracy, low powder consumption, less barrel heat and more shots between cooling, the best brass and hardly any recoil. Did I forget great barrel life?
I probably am going with the 6mm dasher(6br improved). I just like the 40 degree shoulders. Brass dosn't stretch alot and you get alittle more powder. Most 105 grain loads use around 33 grains of powder.

Flybuster, I was originally going to go with the 6x284. However, after much debate and reserch, I decided the 6BR would be a better choice. My rifle will be for 1000 yard varminting. However, must of my shots will be taken between 400 and 600 yards, so the 6BR was the way to go.

I decided I would go with a no neck turn chamber and have it reamed for Lapua brass. Many benchrest and varmint shooters are confirming the fact a no neck turn chambered 6BR is just as accurate as a turned neck 6BR, as long as your using the Lapua brass.

I also thought about the 6 Dasher or the 6BRX, but I decided to stick with the regular 6BR. I did not want all the extra brass prep for a little extra velocity. This is going to be a fun rifle to load. I have heard Lapua 6BR brass is so perfect there is no need for turning necks, uniforming primer pockets or flash holes.

I did some load research for varminting out to 600 yards. Many 6BR varmint shooters are having excellent results with the 70grn Ballistic Tips. When using a 30", 1-8.5 twist barrel, the 6BR will push the 70grn Ballistic tip at around 3500fps, the 75grn V-Max at around 3450fps, the 87grn V-Max at around 3200fps, and the 105grn bullets at 3000+. I have been hearing and reading that the 6BR loves the 70grn Ballistic Tip for 400 to 600 yard varminting. I have heard the 75grn V-Max is doing well too. However, I am finding the 70grn BT is getting the nod. I guess I will find out.

I am thinking the 70grn BT and the 75grn V-Max will be my 100 to 600 yard loads. I will use the 105grn Scenar or 105grn A-Max for 700 to 1000 yards.

This is going to be a fun rifle to shoot. The rifle is going to be heavy, 32 pounds, with scope. It will also have a brake, so recoil will be nothing. I guess you could say I am going to be able to watch my hits and misses with ease. It's going to be fun.

Wildcat

If your ever looking for a cheaper alternative to 70 grain ballistic tips. Try some speer tnt 70 grain, they shoot great. A varmint is a varmint he will die with either bullet. Its just not fair to shoot a varmint under 200 yards with this rifle, thats why you have a 17 or a 22 mag. Its almost cheating.
I think the 6br is great if you don't want any case prep. And Lapua brass is really that great. I shoot it in a Cooper 22 ppc, with lapua brass. I have yet to wear one out.
Go to JBM calculations website http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/traj/traj.html
They have a program on there to calculate recoil. I am building a rifle around 18-20 lbs and shooting heavy bullets, with a f-class benchrest type stock. The recoil is so pleasant around 4lbs, I seriously doubt you even need to consider a muzzle break especially with lighter varmint bullets. Your ears will thank you.

wildcat

If you are going 32 lbs, I would recommend that you talk to gunsmith Mark King in PA (www.6mmbr.com, top recommended smith). He and his buddy John Buhay are making the best 6mm guns for the 1k crowd and more importantly John is building some great stocks of any weight you want that are barrel blocked ready to drop in a barreled action for around $1200-1300.

Both John and Mark are top competitors, craftsmen and gunsmiths. Might save you a lot of money and trouble looking at that setup. Also, at 32 lbs a brake is a waste of $200 IMO.

BH

Buntyhunter, thanks for the info. Regarding the brake, I already have it, so I will use it.

Wildcat

Wildcat,
I think you made a good decision going from the 6x284 to the 6br. Take a look at the 6/6.5x47 Lapua before your gunsmith starts making swarf. IMO the 6x47 has the same accuracy with just a little more case capacity. I have not tried any of the lighter bullets you are planning on using but with the 105s and 107s I think that the 6x47 has just a little advantage.

Eddybo,
I will give the 6x47 a look. However, I am going to stick with the 6BR.

The gunsmith, building my project, recommeded the chamber be set up for a standard neck 6BR using Lapua brass along with a .060 freebore. This will allow me to shoot the 70grn Ballistic Tip, 75grn V-Max, 87grn V-Max and the 105grn Scenar. I am going to have to seat the lighter bullets out pretty far in order to touch the lands.

I have been reading the Lapua 105grn Scenar has been the most accurate bullet for the 6BR if your using a Krieger 1-8 or 1-8.5 twist, 4 groove, .236 lands barrel. I have a Krieger, 30", 1-8.5, .236 lands barrel, so I am really looking forward to shooting this bullet out of this rifle.

This rifle is going to be heavy and stable. It will weigh around 32 pounds. Here are the specs;
1. 6BR, standard neck, using Lapua brass
2. Nesika Model L, 1.70 Dia Action
3. McMillan Tooley MBR Stock, 5 pounds weight added to rear and front stud for bi-pod use.
4. Krieger, 30", 1-8.5 twist, 1.450 Dia. Straight taper barrel, .060 freebore.
5. Jewel 2oz trigger.
6. Vias muzzle brake
7. Davidson 20MOA base.
9. Kelby 30mm Rings.
10. Nightforce NXS 12x42x56mm NP-2DD or NP-R2 or MLR, I have not yet decided on reticle. I have always used the NP-2DD in the past with great success. I have heard the NP-R2 is an awesome reticle too. I have also, talked to many vamint hunters who are saying the MLR reticle is the way to go for Long range varminting.

As you can see, this rifle will be heavy. There will probably be no recoil due to the muzzle brake and weight of rifle. I could probably go without the brake, but I wanted it on this project. It should be a very pleasnt rifle to shoot, allowing me to really watch my hits and allow me to see my misses.

This rifle will be used for 1000 yard varminting, however, most of the varminting will be done from 400 to 600 yards. I was dead set on having the rifle built around the 6x284, but I decided the 6BR would be the better choice overall.

After studying and investigating this cartridge, it was obvious the 6BR is the most accurate of all the 6mm. I know it's not the fastest 6mm, but I have learned how accurate this cartridge is, so I decided to give up speed for accuracy. Also, I had many varmint hunters, individuals on his site and gunsmiths tell me the 6BR is a great cartridge for varminting.

Another reason I decided to go with the 6BR, was because of what past 6x284 owners were telling me. They basically said they wish they would have chambered their rifle for the 6BR instead of the 6x284. It was pretty overwhelming the responses I was getting from other shooters regarding this topic.

Many varmint hunters said once they switched to using the 6BR for varminting, their hits on target increased dramatically. After hearing and readng about this, I was pretty much sold. I am looking forward to shooting the 6BR, it will be my first.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.