62 grain to small for lrh ? should I go bigger ?

haywire05

Looking at using my 6mm rem for lrh to get started . I currently use a 62 grain berger . Should I be going with a bigger bullet like in the 115 grain range for a better bc and to buck the wind better . Mostly using this 2 hunt coyotes . And fairly windy around here . I shoot the 62 grain at 3600fps but am having issues with it .

Yep, bigger bullets will help you shoot out further. I would imagine 62grn bullets in 6mm would be limited to about 200 to 250. The 115's will get you out to 1000yrds with out any problems. You may want to try some 105's and 107's. They could do it for you too. Just make sure you have the twist for it.

Tank

Yeah shooting the ruger m-77 6mm rem believe it is a 1981 . Been looking for the twist but cant find it anywhere . It is the varmint barrel anyone know the twist on this barrel .

Use your cleaning rod. Put your bore brush on or what ever gives you the tightest fit. Push it in a little and mark with a permenant marker. Make a mark on the rod and the handle to give you a start and stop point. Start at the muzzle end and becareful not to mark your lands. Once you've inserted the brush about an inch into the bore, make a second mark right at the end of the muzzle on your cleaning rod. Push the rod in and watch the mark at the handle. Keep pushing until the mark spins around and line up again. Make another mark at the muzzle. Pull the rod out and measure between the two marks you made at the muzzle. What ever the distance is, that is the twist of the barrel. Make sure the rifle is stationary and can't push away from you while you are trying to push for measurment.

Tank

Higher BC=Better.

You probably aren't going to be able to shoot the 115's, but you can shoot 87 grain V-Maxes in the least, and possible 95-107 grain bullets.

pretty comfortable with the 62 grains out to 350-400 but looking to get to that 800-1000 yard mark have shot the 87's before and they worked pretty good .

Higher BC=Better.

You probably aren't going to be able to shoot the 115's, but you can shoot 87 grain V-Maxes in the least, and possible 95-107 grain bullets.

Why wouldnt I be able to shoot the 115's They are available from berger and it looks like the 6br guys are shooting them. Just curious s I am new to the long range shooting . Is there not enough jam in a 6mm rem to carry these bullets to the 1000 yard mark .

Why wouldnt I be able to shoot the 115's They are available from berger and it looks like the 6br guys are shooting them. Just curious s I am new to the long range shooting . Is there not enough jam in a 6mm rem to carry these bullets to the 1000 yard mark .

Factory barrel(10" twist?) probably isn't going to stabilize them. The 6BR guys are shooting faster twist barrels to handle those bullets. Berger recommends a 7 twist.

If you know anybody that has 115's, I would give them a try. You are probably going to be on the edge of stabilization, but each barrel is different. That 1/4" twist may stabilize them. If not you can deffinately throw the 105's and 107's. They aren't bad bullets for long range either.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.