6 mm ackley

Chuckster,

I think that is gonna be my next trick too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I thought this was gonna be my long range killa!! Now it is a continual source of frustration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Love my plane jane 308!!!

Load at the range. Select your brass from the cases that go into the group. keep the rest for sighters. I stay with Laupa .308 WIN and make all my cases from this brass. It's a pain I know. It's a shame we can't just buy better brass.

What are the steps to forming 6mmAI brass from 308? Is it more uniform? I thought one the case was fire formed it fit the chamber and it was ok. Guess not, would the 1-8 twist in my barrel cause it to throw fliers with the light wt bullets? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What are the steps to forming 6mmAI brass from 308? Is it more uniform? I thought one the case was fire formed it fit the chamber and it was ok. Guess not, would the 1-8 twist in my barrel cause it to throw fliers with the light wt bullets? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know what you mean by a light bullet? The one in eight twist would work with the vary longest bullets in this bore size @ the velo you get with this chambering. However if you are shooting benchrest length bullets in the one in eight......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

3-6bits,
Thanks for all the great info. I hope i can get this thing sorted out before i rechamber it. I spent alot on the the dies,seaters,brass,and bullets to stop now. But All my other ackleys have been so $&^%* accurate and easy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I bought a clymer gauge for 6mm ackley 40 degree, and when I chamber the gauge it is so tight I barely can get the bolt closed. Is this too tight? I know there is supposed to be a crush fit, but this seems a bit much. I lube my lugs good and take out the firing pin and ejector. I do all my own smithing and I have wondered if this could be a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Any thoughts?

My gun shoots 68Gr Barts and 75 gr Vmaxes into one large hole...sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I was asking if the fast twist (overstabalizing the bullet) would cause the intermuittant flyer? Again, how do yoou form the brass from 308 ??
Thanks

Chuckster ,
I think you form the brass from Norma 7 x 57 .
.308 is considerably shorter than 6mm Rem I think you'll find .
Do a Google search on 6mm Ackley . There's an article there somewhere on the procedure .

I form mine from 6mm Rem brass, but 3sixbits said he formed it from 308??Thats why my question how. Is 7x57 brass better to use than 6mm??

Believe that Norma make brass for the 7 x 57 which is supposed to be better than 6mm Remington brass . Think I would just do some case prep. on Rem. brass and (if you're keen )sort by weight . Quite a few coming to the conclusion that neck thickness / tension is the major factor in prepping brass and that a lot of the other procedures don't make a noticeable difference unless you're shooting a 6PPC in benchrest competition . Their story , not mine . I don't have an opinion .

Hey Lead lobber Hey use Lapua Brass its great.How do you get it? well that's a small problem just re-chamber your rifle to 6x284,and purchase 6.5x284 and the speed of light is yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

iron worker,
ever heard of necking down norma 7x57? I hear two things....works great and......makes even more crooked brass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif any opinions

Any body interested in a Redding micrometer bushing neck die,body die,inline micrometer seating die for 6mm ackley and I will throw in about 200 brass (after my PD hunt in May).
Email me at [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.