6 mm ackley

lead lobber

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the 6mm ackley? I am fireforming loads and am having wierd things happen. First two rounds will touch, then third will be 1 inch out. No pattern yet but maddening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif My load consists of rem 6mm brass, 46 gr r-22 fed 210m primer 105 gr amax. barrel is pac nor select match 1-8 3 groove. Improved load up to 50 grains. I have the bullets seated to the lands. I let the barrel cool and have cleaned it religiously. Seems to shoot a little bit better with 3-5 rounds of foulers.

lead lobber ,
I haven't used the A Max myself but have read that they are not very consistent dimensionally . Apparently if you go thru a uniforming process they work very well but may need to discard quite a few to get a good end result .
Have heard great things about the 105 Lapua Scenar . You might like to try them .
Could be that your rifle just doesn't like that load or bullet too .

I have to agree with Aussie on what he says. I have two wildcats based on the 6mm REM case and I have found the problem to be the brass. I wish there was better brass but that is not the case. This means only one thing and you will have to sort brass. Buy a big lot. I hope you already have a way to spin cases as this is what you will need to do to find good straight cases. In a lot of 500 rds if you can find a hundred with uniform necks, count yourself lucky indeed! I don't waste time weighing them anymore, just look for uniform neck thickness. I don't know what other bullets you might have on hand but you sure want to try some match grade bullets. I don't think you are having an equipment problem as much as an component problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had a 6mmremAI done up with a Pac-Nor SS select match 1/10 twist barrel kind of like your will throw one out. I've got another one but has a Shilen barrel same twist those loads don't shoot in the new one. I shot R-19,R-22 plus alot of other powders. When back to alot of my old reloading manual looking at the load for the 6mmrem powders that come up IMR-3031,IMR 4064,IMR-4350 and IMR-4831 and there where other but these showed up the most I had some IMR-3031 and my first loads were great both with 80gr and 100gr bullets took that rifle and those loads 25rd of each out for alittle PD shooting Sunday and did pretty good from 200/400yds need alittle more fine tuning. I was just about ready to send the barrel back to Pac-Nor. I changed stock,scopes,bullets,powder,seating depth and trigger. Hard to figure these rifles at times. I've got a 6mmrem with a Hart barrel with a 1/14 twist and that rifle shoot little bug holes. Well good luck

I shoot a .244 AK, (6mm Rem Imp), with a 8 twist Krieger tight chamber. Use Rem brass and neck turn. One of the most accurate rifles I have with a match bullet like the Sierra 107s. Also shoots the Berger 105s, JLKs. I-4350 with a Rem 9 1/2 mag primer works for me. Try a different bullet/powder combo. I know this cartridge will shoot.
db

Aussie,3sixbits,roper,dbhostler-
thanks for the info!!! I agree with the brass quality. I am a beginner reloader but i can see the odd necks on alot of the brass. Have a 6 neck turner on order. It is the most incosistant brass i have seen so far. Has anybody used norma 7x57 brass? I have rediing full length and neck s dies, can i buy a 6.5 bushing and start necking 7x57 brass down and finish with my 6 neck bushing? I know I will have to neck turn but how hard is it to?

first of all dump the A-max...

get some Bergers or SMK's

here's results from a 6mmAI I had.. should have never sold it... ****!....

I have to qualify this .. it was shot from a bench.. I used to shoot bench rifles...

PA253447web_1.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Aussie,3sixbits,roper,dbhostler-
thanks for the info!!! I agree with the brass quality. I am a beginner reloader but i can see the odd necks on alot of the brass. Have a 6 neck turner on order. It is the most incosistant brass i have seen so far. Has anybody used norma 7x57 brass? I have rediing full length and neck s dies, can i buy a 6.5 bushing and start necking 7x57 brass down and finish with my 6 neck bushing? I know I will have to neck turn but how hard is it to?

[/ QUOTE ] Well this is a quick road to crooked necks, That the sort of thing I did years ago making cases for chambers that I had no chance of finding the parent cases for. It is a tuff way to go and keep the necks where you want them. A little trick I picked-up many years ago that helps if you don't have a way to spin the cases (and don't want to buy a good spinner) is look at the base of each case and look for primer holes off center to the case head. That will give you a fair idea if the case is lopsided or not. I would not switch to mag primers! RL-22 would be my first choice for powder. But I really think you need to look at your bullets first. You might want to try some Clinch River bullets. Bergers may be OK but I haven't shot any since Walt sold the company to SPIVEY (J-4) so I can't say if they are still made in the hand dies like they were before they went to California from Phoenix? The one thing I would not do is change a bunch of things at one time! Change only one component at a time. Start with your bullets! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LL,
H-4350 is simular to I-4350, but I would not interchange the loads. You do not need a mag primer unless your weapon calls for it. The only reason I use a mag primer in this rifle is that a standard primer backs out of the pocket about .030" and a mag primer cures that.
db

"fed210m primer.....i just did a test with them. i noticed differences in the amount of red material in the cup.i selected 5 with no red and 5 with full red. because i get that occasional unexplained flier too...i wish i had a digital camera because the full red produced my normal little round dime group @100 and the no red had 3 together with one low left and another as far to the right."fliers as compared to the others"this test will be run more. try it for yourself and let me know what you find. also does anyone know what the red stuff is?im thinking a sealer or filler?

All,
I to have a custom 6AI, Rem action,28"Hart 1-8, 2oz trigger,12-42x56 nightforce,mcmillan stock and it is driving me crazy! I can go to the range one day and shoot .2" group and go home and load the same load again and shoot a 1" group with it! I have tried about 10 different bullets and 6 different pawders and many combos will shoot good once or twice but not always. The only thing that makes sense is the brass is varying. I shoot a 22-250 that shoots .2s all day everyday so this 6AI is about to be rechambered for 6-284 or something that will be less finiky.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.