6.5x55 143gr ELDX Load Data Modern Action?

Reloader 26 is definitely not too slow for 140 class bullets and heavier in the Swede. It also has yielded the best velocity with accuracy for me.
I shot a load string with 143gr ELDX and 6.5 Staball. The highest load I had was 48gr, and pressure signs were ok and the velocity was 2860fps and accuracy was good. I am going to work a little more and see where it goes.

I have some RL26 too, so I might try that, but I don't want to load it to hot because of the pressure spike it gets at high temps.

I shot a load string with 143gr ELDX and 6.5 Staball. The highest load I had was 48gr, and pressure signs were ok and the velocity was 2860fps and accuracy was good. I am going to work a little more and see where it goes.

I have some RL26 too, so I might try that, but I don't want to load it to hot because of the pressure spike it gets at high temps.
So you are asserting that Staball 6.5 is less temp sens than the RL -26. Seems that way. Got any threads or anecdotal evidence? I am NOT contradicting you. Just RL-26 was supposed to be more temp stable in the Alliant line-up at least. Reality for me is that I seldom hunt in hot situations. But I'd like to shoot and work up loads whenever.

Sadly, I hunt deer in the ice usually. Kansas deer season is late and on the far northern and somewhat western edge of KS where I hunt, we are never over freezing and often under 10 in the mornings. Kinda fun/strange to watch frost form on your barrel. Yes, done that many times. Been awful cold a few times too, missed a couple shots through the years from shivers.

Oh, and huge thanks for a Staball load. I do want to try it. Keep thinking my Tikka has a sweet spot.

So you are asserting that Staball 6.5 is less temp sens than the RL -26. Seems that way. Got any threads or anecdotal evidence? I am NOT contradicting you. Just RL-26 was supposed to be more temp stable in the Alliant line-up at least. Reality for me is that I seldom hunt in hot situations. But I'd like to shoot and work up loads whenever.

Sadly, I hunt deer in the ice usually. Kansas deer season is late and on the far northern and somewhat western edge of KS where I hunt, we are never over freezing and often under 10 in the mornings. Kinda fun/strange to watch frost form on your barrel. Yes, done that many times. Been awful cold a few times too, missed a couple shots through the years from shivers.

Oh, and huge thanks for a Staball load. I do want to try it. Keep thinking my Tikka has a sweet spot.
I would definitely start lower than 48gr with staball. I started at 43 and worked up. My barrel has alot of freebore.

I have read that RL26 can spike at higher temps in several threads on several sites and heard it directly from a friend I trust that has worked with it a fair amount. I don't normally hunt at higher temps, but with temps here in the practice months going north of 115* I am not going to play too fast and loose with it unless I develop the load at high temps.

I have a load development with RL26 for my buddies 6.5PRC and it shoots great but it is not near max pressure.

I used H1000 in a Stiga rifle with the 143 ELDX and got over 2700fps. That was not pushing it either it was just accurate. A friend used 6.5 Staball with great success and over 2800fps. I have tried Rl 25 too in a Winchester but never really found a great load in that rifle.. From what I have found though is that powders slower than Imr 4831 give the best velocities.

I used H1000 in a Stiga rifle with the 143 ELDX and got over 2700fps. That was not pushing it either it was just accurate. A friend used 6.5 Staball with great success and over 2800fps. I have tried Rl 25 too in a Winchester but never really found a great load in that rifle.. From what I have found though is that powders slower than Imr 4831 give the best velocities.

IIRC the Stiga manufactured rifles were small ring M96 variant. Don't know much more, except I'd be careful with any old gun. I have been doing my calcs with Quickload aiming for a max of 64,000. I figure if a CM can run there, so can my Tikka. But I am more careful with my M94 Carl Gustaves carbine. M94 and M96 are both small ring Mausers and from a metalurgy and safety standpoint, I think both are similarly a little less robust that the M98 design. FAR stronger than the other early Mausers due to the quality of the Swedish steel, but old is old. The M96 IIRC, was PROOF tested to 65,000 psi. Modern firearms IIRC are proofed to 85,000, but I might have that wrong by a few thou.....

Thanks for the new replies. I really need to head to the range a couple more times before it heats up too much and some suggestions are always welcome. I have lots of powder, H1000, 4831SC, Staball 6.5, RL-26 to name a few candidates. I may try to get to the next accuracy node with the RL-26 and try a new load with Staball on the same day.

Oh, and yes I understand to go down 10% and work up. But its a good thing to always mention. Some folks need reminding.......

I would definitely start lower than 48gr with staball. I started at 43 and worked up. My barrel has alot of freebore.

I have read that RL26 can spike at higher temps in several threads on several sites and heard it directly from a friend I trust that has worked with it a fair amount. I don't normally hunt at higher temps, but with temps here in the practice months going north of 115* I am not going to play too fast and loose with it unless I develop the load at high temps.

I have a load development with RL26 for my buddies 6.5PRC and it shoots great but it is not near max pressure.
Does anyone have a 6.5x55 that doesn't have a ton of freebore? :) All mine do too.

I think all manufacturers for forever have worried someone would shove a 160g mil sup round nose into a modern gun, cam the bullet 20 thou into the rifling and blow something up. The old guns were all throated for that 160gr behemouth. Thus the origins of 6.5mm cartridges having a fast twist IMO. Cause the Swede did and it worked! Don't really know.

I do know that I have a box of 100, 160gr Hornady (I think) RN. Now discontinued. Guess if I ever decide I really want to shoot a moose with a 6.5x55, I am ready......

Does anyone have a 6.5x55 that doesn't have a ton of freebore? :) All mine do too.

I think all manufacturers for forever have worried someone would shove a 160g mil sup round nose into a modern gun, cam the bullet 20 thou into the rifling and blow something up. The old guns were all throated for that 160gr behemouth. Thus the origins of 6.5mm cartridges having a fast twist IMO. Cause the Swede did and it worked! Don't really know.

I do know that I have a box of 100, 160gr Hornady (I think) RN. Now discontinued. Guess if I ever decide I really want to shoot a moose with a 6.5x55, I am ready......
I have some of the 155gr Laupa Mega bullets I bought cheap in loaded ammo if i ever decided to do that. I shot about 1/2 of my stock to get the brass to load normal rounds, but kept 60 or so just for a rainy day.

I am going to resurrect this thread, with a quasi update -- worked up a load for my friends 6.5 CM, 143 ELDX and Staball 6.5. Zinging at 2800 fps, very accurate and low ES. 24" barrel.

So I am going to try the Staball 6.5 in my 6.5x55. Kind of irks me that his gun is hitting the same speed as my 6.5x55 with less powder capacity (4" longer barrel probably explains).......

Hoss50, your profile says you were here 15 mins ago! Got any new 6.5x55 news?

I am going to resurrect this thread, with a quasi update -- worked up a load for my friends 6.5 CM, 143 ELDX and Staball 6.5. Zinging at 2800 fps, very accurate and low ES. 24" barrel.

So I am going to try the Staball 6.5 in my 6.5x55. Kind of irks me that his gun is hitting the same speed as my 6.5x55 with less powder capacity (4" longer barrel probably explains).......

Hoss50, your profile says you were here 15 mins ago! Got any new 6.5x55 news?
I have started a load work up on it. This is my gun so I would start low and work up.

Right now with Lapua brass, 48gr of 6.5 Staball, Fed 210s, 143gr ELDX I am at 2860fps from a 22" barrel. The 3 shot group was 2861,2859,2861. It was probably MOA or so, but I am honestly not 100% sure how accurate this rifle is capable. Maybe better, maybe not. The rifle cost me $275 brand new so even if MOA is all I get that is fine.

I am going to play with it more soon, but I need to bed the new stock and get the barrel threaded so I can dial the load in suppressed which is how I plan to hunt with it.

The fact that I haven't hit pressure yet is nice, I might be able to get this thing up near 6.5 PRC levels. My buddies Ruger in 6.5 PRC is most accurate just under 3000fps. This 6.5x55 is already in the ballpark and with some work might be real close.

This isn't my long range stomper rifle, it's main goal is actually to stay light and easy to carry. I put a Stockys blemished carbon fiber stock on it, and have a light scope on it. It will be my under 500 yard carry in the mountains rifle. Right now the rifle is under 8lbs I think and under $1000 total cost. I am even contemplating having my gunsmith shorten the barrel to 18-20" when he threads it to make the rifle more suppressor friendly and keep it shorter.

Love the StaBall, shoot it in a couple of rifles, actually that is the only two rifles I have tried it in and incredibly accurate with good velocity in both 6.5CM and 22-250 Rem