6.5x55 load data wanted

tommy trucker

what do you use in your 6.5x55
bullet, weight, powder/charge, velocity, trajectory etc etc

all info would be greatfuly received /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I load the 6.5 x 55, but I load it for M96 Swedish Mausers. Therefore, I don't go as high with the pressure as you could with a modern rifle.

Ken Waters recommends these loads for 140 grain bullets in MODERN 6.5 x 55's.

39.0 grains IMR 4895
45.0 grains H4350

I have actually tried both of these recipes and they're very consitent. I probably shouldn't have tried them in my M96, but I did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif No problems occurred, but primers were cratering considerably.

At 300 yards, with IRON SIGHTS, my M96 did this with the Hornady 140 grain Interlock and 45.0 grains of H4350:

dec27_14.jpg

A very accurate powder for the 6.5 x 55 is RL22. "Reloder 22" appears to be the same Bofors (of Sweden) manufactured powder formerly known as NC1220 (military spec). I've pulled down some of the M41 "Prickskytte" Swedish long range military rounds and examined the powder. 46.3 to 46.5 grains of the NC1220--but it appears for all the world to be RL22.

I took equal volumes of RL22 and the NC1220 and weighed them--they weighed exactly the same.

I examined the color and cut of each (under a magnifying glass), again, a perfect match.

I burned a pinch of each in an ashtray and noted that each powder had the same smell.

Lastly, I checked the load data for RL22 and worked carefully up to 46.3 grains of RL22 behind some pulled M41 bullets, and compared the velocities of factory rounds and my handloads with RL22--nearly the same, within the ES margin of each other.

The M41 Prickskytte round was a Norma made bullet of approximately 143 grains (they actually varied considerably, from the low 142's to about 143.5 in the ones I pulled). The best bullet to match that weight today would be Sierra's 142 grain "cruise missle" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Matchking. I've used that bullet with 46.3 grains of RL22 with excellent results.

Since you're interested in the 6.5 x 55, you might find this link intriguing...

http://www.eabco.com/swiftbulletco02.htm

Dan

In a custom Sako I used for competition, I used:

Case: Winchester or Lapua, trimmed to 2.15"
Primer: CCI 200 Large Rifle
Bullet: Sierra 120 gr. Match King HPBT
OAL: 2.945"
Powder: 36.2 grs. of Hodgdon Varget or 40.5 grs. of IMR 4064

The load was temperature sensitive, but I usually got 2500 fps.

I also tried a load I got off THR (wildalaska), that used RL22, 43.8 grains.

Watch out, though, I tried the loads in a rebuilt Mauser M94, and darned near blew up the action. Always start low and build up, etc. But you knew that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In a custom Sako I used for competition, I used:

Case: Winchester or Lapua, trimmed to 2.15"
Primer: CCI 200 Large Rifle
Bullet: Sierra 120 gr. Match King HPBT
OAL: 2.945"
Powder: 36.2 grs. of Hodgdon Varget or 40.5 grs. of IMR 4064

The load was temperature sensitive, but I usually got 2500 fps. There must be better powders now, though. Maybe try something with H4831sc?

I also tried a load I got off THR (wildalaska), that used RL22, 43.8 grains.

Watch out, though, I tried the loads in a rebuilt Mauser M94, and darned near blew up the action. Always start low and build up, etc. But you knew that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

that is a great group for the m96. how were you shooting (prone, bench ...??

Prone over the bags. I'm a terrible shot off the bench, I've just never been able to get the hang of it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just used the paper target to align the sights (at the bottom edge) and the bullets all landed where I wanted them to...

Those old M96's are remarkable. In good conditions, I can hit milk jugs at 600 yards with the irons. I also have a 10" gong that I can generally ring at that range.

Here's a 600 yard target. I barely kept them on the paper, but they're there...

600ydSwede.jpg

I put a Metallverken sight wheel in the rear sight, and have collected the data I need to get it to 800 yards. I've not been so hot at 800, however. It could be that the load has too much ES, or it could simply be that 800 yards is just too darned far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dan

Green788

Beware of giving any loads using RL22. They have had a recent history of wide lot to lot variance with a recal on one lot 3 yrs ago. I had to come down 4 grains to keep it safe from the previous lot.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.