6.5x55 143gr ELDX Load Data Modern Action?

Hoss50

Is anyone loading the above combo? What are you running powder wise, and are you pushing it to modern pressures?

I have a Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 that I am starting to load for and have a bunch of 143gr ELDX sitting here so I might as well give them a go.

Most of the published data is pretty mild, and I am looking to push this. I have Lapua brass and a rifle with a fair amount of freebore. The bullet will not get near the lands and still have enough neck contact.

If I can find a load for this rifle I plan to thread it and run a suppressor down the road and adding a lighter stock to. Turn it into a lighter weight hunting gun. Most of the stuff I have is 9.5+ lbs.

Is anyone loading the above combo? What are you running powder wise, and are you pushing it to modern pressures?

I have a Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 that I am starting to load for and have a bunch of 143gr ELDX sitting here so I might as well give them a go.

Most of the published data is pretty mild, and I am looking to push this. I have Lapua brass and a rifle with a fair amount of freebore. The bullet will not get near the lands and still have enough neck contact.

If I can find a load for this rifle I plan to thread it and run a suppressor down the road and adding a lighter stock to. Turn it into a lighter weight hunting gun. Most of the stuff I have is 9.5+ lbs.
I don't shoot the 143 eldx but routinely shoot the 140 eldm out of my Tikka T3 6.5x55. With Reloder 23, I'm getting 2850 fps with 48.5 gr Rl 23, lapua brass and GM210 primers.
With 50.5 gr Vihta Vuouri N165, I'm running at 2750 fps, lapua brass and GM 210 primers.

Hope this helps.
Warren

I have shot the 143 ELD-X from my 22" T3-Lite for the last couple years. Have far heavier and more accurate guns, but man the little Tikka with a deadly round is sweet. Over two seasons, 3 deer, three shots. The older I get, the heavier the guns become.

The Tikka is throated long as would be most 6.5x55 Over 49.8 RL-26 I get around 2800 fps and under MOA groups 5 shot and cold 22" barrel. That is the node I settled on, but according to Quickload and my other numbers I think I could search for a higher node.

I'll join in this thread not as a master, but as interested.

The 6.5 Swede as we all know has more case capacity than the Creed or several other 6.5 offerings. Plus wonderful Lapua brass. But loading to real modern pressures is tricky, as you will have no book guidance. But since when did that matter??

I have shot the 143 ELD-X from my 22" T3-Lite for the last couple years. Have far heavier and more accurate guns, but man the little Tikka with a deadly round is sweet. Over two seasons, 3 deer, three shots. The older I get, the heavier the guns become.

The Tikka is throated long as would be most 6.5x55 Over 49.8 RL-26 I get around 2800 fps and under MOA groups 5 shot and cold 22" barrel. That is the node I settled on, but according to Quickload and my other numbers I think I could search for a higher node.

I'll join in this thread not as a master, but as interested.

The 6.5 Swede as we all know has more case capacity than the Creed or several other 6.5 offerings. Plus wonderful Lapua brass. But loading to real modern pressures is tricky, as you will have no book guidance. But since when did that matter??
Actually, there is book data out there for the VV powders. I use N165 for most of my shooting with 140 class bullets. Their load data shows 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser data separate from the 6.5x55 SE (marked on my Tikka barrel).

Warren

Actually, there is book data out there for the VV powders. I use N165 for most of my shooting with 140 class bullets. Their load data shows 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser data separate from the 6.5x55 SE (marked on my Tikka barrel).

Warren
I was at my local reloading shop Bruno's yesterday and he gave me a VV powder loading guide and it has load data on 6.5x55 SKAN which is full pressure 6.5x55.

I might try some VV powder if my first round of loads doesn't work out. I have 6.5 Staball loaded up at different weights to 3gr over low pressure max. Going to see if I can find a load and pressure signs.

I had a 6.5x55 built on a Remington 700 action and using quick load worked up a load with 140gr bullets (3) and I'm getting 2850 to just under 2900 fps. According to quick load the pressure is in the 58,500 area before I started seeing pressure signs.
What powder are you using?

I don't shoot the 143 eldx but routinely shoot the 140 eldm out of my Tikka T3 6.5x55. With Reloder 23, I'm getting 2850 fps with 48.5 gr Rl 23, lapua brass and GM210 primers.
With 50.5 gr Vihta Vuouri N165, I'm running at 2750 fps, lapua brass and GM 210 primers.

Hope this helps.
Warren
Unfortunately I don't have any RL23 and when I was talking with my reloading shop he said the distributor says he is not likely to see any in 2023. So I will have to work with something else. I do have some RL26, but that may be a little to slow.

What powder are

Unfortunately I don't have any RL23 and when I was talking with my reloading shop he said the distributor says he is not likely to see any in 2023. So I will have to work with something else. I do have some RL26, but that may be a little to slow.
H4831SC, h100v, H4350, IMR 4350, N165 and StaBall 6.5 have all worked for me.

Warren

Update to this thread. Finally got my quickload update that has Staball 6.5 powder data. As much as the Staball 6.5 ads brag about more velocity from a CM, initial (AND CLEARLY SPECULATIVE) data from QL did not bear that out in a Swede at full bore pressures.

Using the actual barrel length (20") from my Tikka and actual seating depth (.264 shank into neck, not counting BT of course), I played with QL and powders.

H 4350 was like 2687
H 4831 SC 2699
Rl-23 2726
StaBall 6.5 2679
RL-26 2830

All max before QL says its dangerous.

These are all with 143 ELD-X, QL set to 64,000 psi. I thought it was interesting. I forked over $290 for some Staball thinking it might be the next great thing, but maybe not. I will try it in my buddies CM.

I remain enamored with my little Tikka. Sub MOA accuracy, slinging a high BC bullet at 2800 fps, 8#3oz scoped and slinged.

Reloader 26 is definitely not too slow for 140 class bullets and heavier in the Swede. It also has yielded the best velocity with accuracy for me.