6.5X300 Weatherby Mag Recoil

timmymic

All, I am looking for a new rifle and being a lefty the options for a quality rifle are pretty slim. Looking at spending less than $2000 on the rifle alone. The primary purpose will be hunting deer and elk. With this in mind I found the Weatherby Mark V to fit that the best but limited calibers. I do not like an excessive amount of recoil so I am wondering if anyone with experience with the 6.5x300 can give me some comparisons of what to expect for recoil. Or any others with ideas of something that may fit my needs better.

Thanks guys

Wanted to update if anyone else is looking for this info. I shot a friends 6.5x300 today! Wow recoil is not an issue. With an accubrake it was by far less than my 308. I would say with the brake it's about a 243.

Last edited:
I would say it is pretty similar to the recoil from a 7mm rem mag in a rifle of the same weight, I cant tell the difference in recoil between the two . My 6.5x300 is in an accumark so it not a light rifle and the recoil seems very light to me. I have fired one in a mark V ultra light weight and without the break on it, it didn't seem to kick much more then my accumark

I do not like an excessive amount of recoil
This is a very nice tool: http://www.jecustom.com/index.php?pg=Tools&cmd=Recoil

Recoil perception is subjective. I know after many years that it is the concussion I react to. The best hearing protection is a must. Reaction to recoil itself as in the hit/push/shove and those sharp enough to bruise even when held correctly varies.

I don't have a 6.5x300Weatherby. I do have some 300Weatherby's and xx-Noslers, the closest to a 6.5x300Weatherby.

If you can handle an unbraked 300Wincheser Magnum you will not have a problem with the 6.5x300Weatherby. It may not be an all day thing at the range and it was not intended to be.

In order to advise more, an idea of what you shoot now would help.

morning, jfseaman is right. I shoot a 340wbee accu-mark with the accu-brake
210gr. barnes bullets 4831sc, federal 215 primers wbee brass. the recoil
is very comfortable. very accurate and a jack hammer caliber and cartridge.
I also have the 257 and 7mmwbee's. no problem with recoil. I am 72,
had open heart surgery in june 2017 and love my weatherby's.
rifle stock and muzzle brake make recoil comfortable. just me.
GBOT TUM

I don't think its a must, I find mine very nice to shoot without one. It dosent kick anything like a 300wby.

I haven't had any issues seeing bullet impact without it, My opinion is if your worried about It by one with a brake, or have one threaded for a break, If I were to put a break on one I would probably find a side vent break to reduce dust puffing when I was shooting, Any of the radial breaks create a lot of dust when shooting prone.

I haven't had any issues seeing bullet impact without it, My opinion is if your worried about It by one with a brake, or have one threaded for a break, If I were to put a break on one I would probably find a side vent break to reduce dust puffing when I was shooting, Any of the radial breaks create a lot of dust when shooting prone.

I second that if we're voting.

All, I am looking for a new rifle and being a lefty the options for a quality rifle are pretty slim. Looking at spending less than $2000 on the rifle alone. The primary purpose will be hunting deer and elk. With this in mind I found the Weatherby Mark V to fit that the best but limited calibers. I do not like an excessive amount of recoil so I am wondering if anyone with experience with the 6.5x300 can give me some comparisons of what to expect for recoil. Or any others with ideas of something that may fit my needs better.

Thanks guys

Try this recoil calculator and comparison >>> http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts