6.5x284 vs 300WM???

Is this calculator right?

My 270 Wby (28" Benchmark) pushing the 170gr Bergers scored 1738 at the muzzle and 1660 at 100 yards...

Not sure of the inner workings of the HITS calculator but in comparison ...

My .270 AI (30" Lilja 3-groove 1:8") pushing the 175 Matrix VLD scored 1708 at muzzle 1629 at 100 yards.

Is this calculator right?

My 270 Wby (28" Benchmark) pushing the 170gr Bergers scored 1738 at the muzzle and 1660 at 100 yards...

That's in meters per second.

If it's MPS mine would be 912 at the muzzle and 879 at 100 yards instead of 1708 and 1629 respectively of the HITS calculator.

HITS%20at%20the%20muzzle_zps72przbej.jpg

HITS%20at%20100%20yards_zpse2ym8rns.jpg

HITS%201%20of%202_zpsqgshlemk.jpg

HITS%202%20of%202_zpsxxay8qpu.jpg

The Taylor Knock-Out Factor (TKOF) was intended to be comparative, allowing the stopping power of one cartridge/load to be compared to another. The TKOF numerical values do not represent any scientific quantity or unit of measurement (fps, ft. lbs. etc.). In this, TKOF is like Hornady HITS or the G&S Online Rifle Cartridge Killing Power numbers, albeit with a far lower correlation to reality.
(http://chuckhawks.com/taylor_KO_factor.htm)

Below is the TKOF equivalent of the above HITS using http://www.reloadammo.com/tkofactor2.htm ...

TKOF%20at%20the%20muzzle_zps2a0aq3oq.jpg

TKOF%20at%20100%20yards_zpsymkpo2mf.jpg

Last edited:
I don't care what chart, book, article, table or graph you show me..when it comes to killing an animal at any distance I'm reaching for my .300 magnum every time...there's no substitute for .308 cal holes...thoughts after watching 50 years of hunting big game by lots of people.

I don't care what chart, book, article, table or graph you show me..when it comes to killing an animal at any distance I'm reaching for my .300 magnum every time...there's no substitute for .308 cal holes...thoughts after watching 50 years of hunting big game by lots of people.
More game has been taken around the world with 6.5's than you would ever believe including lots of big hogs, moose, bear, Red Stag, and every species of game in Africa.

Nothing wrong with either and thankfully we live in a country where we don't have to settle on just one.

Actually, I feel that was the most helpful post on the thread.... you guys are arguing like children.
The simple fact is that HITTING an animal is what kills it. Instant death is determined by shock and by shot placement.
There is a science behind it....

Well... in North America, caliber arguments are beyond ignorant, as it is truly nothing more than a "bar stool nonsense".
Point Click Gut
It's THAT simple.
Now, go to an African Province/Country with a small bore you ARE stuck with upper plains game with a smaller rifle... not only legally, but by the guide not wanting to die.

Oh well....
opinions are like ********. Everybody has one.
Like others have said... thank fully we live in a Republic that doesn't block military rounds are specific calibers in the like.
I own a vast range like most do.... and at the end of the day, for everyday deer hunting or plinking.... I grab a 7mm class rifle.
Why? Best happy medium when I don't need to push a payload....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.