6.5x284 vs 300WM???

SteveO

I'm looking at setting up a long range mule deer/sheep/goat rifle.

I am considering:

26 Nosler
6.5-284
6.5 WSM
300 WSM
300 WM

I came across this article which basically shows the 6.5-284 as superior or at least equal to the 300 Win :

Head To Head - The 6.5 -284 Norma Vs The .300 Win Mag, By Daniel Lynn

I thought I would check in with the vast experience base here (as this is my initial foray into long range shooting), and see if you thought that was an accurate article? Seems an apples to apples comparison?

AND

I could pick up a Christensen Ridgeline in any of the calibers above other than the 6.5 WSM. It seems like a reasonably priced, portable, accurate "starter" rifle for long range "alpine" hunting. Opinions?

I own, and have hunted with a variety of the usual calibers including the 300WM. About six years ago I acquired a 6.5x284 that was barreled/chambered for 140 VLD's at 3000FPS. Being exclusively a medium sized game hunter, I have since taken a few dozen deer and antelope to 1200 yards, with the majority between 400 and 800 yards. Based on the success and effectiveness I have experienced for this caliber to put game on the ground at long rang, I agree with the premise of the article, and will keep using my 6.5x284 with no reservations.
One of several 300+ pound Alberta mule deer, this one, DRT at 650 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 384
I came across this article which basically shows the 6.5-284 as superior or at least equal to the 300 Win :

That statement is very misleading; run the numbers using 215/230 and see for yourself. Better yet, do a query on Jeff's (BROZ) real world success with the Bergers and .300 WM.

I'm a big fan of the 6.5, esp. the 6.5x55 but my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards is the .300 WM.

Last edited:
You can't beat .308 holes when hunting big game ! The .300wm will do anything the 6.5/284 will do but it's not vice versa by any means. There's not much difference in a 180 berger/140 berger in trajectory that I can see but penetration would be a significant advantage to the .300wm ..especially when the size of the game increases. Deer/antelope I don't think would be much difference but 300lbs and up have to favor the 300wm.

Steve I have two 6.5-284s, a 300rsaum, and a 300 wm. I like the 6.5s especially for competition. they kick less. almost half. as you can see in the article. I would say that with the 210 bergers I shoot the difference in drop and windage is non existent.

With the exception of the energy values between the two, I see no difference in drops or windage. As for energy, I have had better performance on medium game with the 140 Berger and JLK's in terms of expansion and delivered energy to the medium sized animals I have taken. I know that many sing the praises of the 210/215 Bergers, but my experiences with expansion have been very inconsistent when they are driven at my 300WM velocities of 2900FPS on deer/antelope sized game. Unfortunately, these bullets are required for the 300WM to match the ballistics of the 6.5x284/140VLD's. I tried the LRAB 210's iin hopes of more reliable expansion in my 300WM but could not get consistent accuracy. I would never claim this to be the final word, but this is what I have experienced.
This is typical long range 140 VLD performance on medium game.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 238
I am a huge fan of the 6.5 cal. That said, having killed lots of animals and been along on lots of other's kills, there is no replacement for displacement. I think bigger dia kills better than smaller dia. Dead is dead, one doesn't make them deader. It is the process of dying that sometimes is different. So as a rule I will say that the bigger the dia of a bullet the more consistent that process remains. Much of this discussion really comes down to the bullet choice rather than the rifle used.

So just to muddy my statement....I am not at all afraid to use 6.5 cal for hunting big game. Just want to be fair in the comparison.

Steve

Have you looked at the 7 mag and 180 gr Berger VLD's?

Similar performance to the heavy 30 cal bullets with less recoil. (Kinda sounds like a beer commercial)

Why not a 264 win mag ? Mine drives 140 Bergers around 3300 . I doubt that 215s out of a 300win can match the trajectory of a 140 going close to 3300 . It also has a lot less recoil . You don't need a 300 to shoot deer . Now if you were going after elk the 300 is gonna have an advantage .That's my 2 cents .

I agree I dont need a 300 to shoot deer. I want to be just like GreyFox when I grow up :)...what a great buck. And yes, a 264 WM would be a great longer range deer round.

My main interest here was if that article I linked was accurate. I know the 300 is VERY versatile. But if I can get the same or better trajectory and foot pounds to 1000 yards with half the recoil, the 6.5-284 would be a much more economically sound choice. But I've not run enough numbers or know enough about each to know if the article was skewing things one way or the other.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I agree I dont need a 300 to shoot deer. I want to be just like GreyFox when I grow up :)...what a great buck. And yes, a 264 WM would be a great longer range deer round.

My main interest here was if that article I linked was accurate. I know the 300 is VERY versatile. But if I can get the same or better trajectory and foot pounds to 1000 yards with half the recoil, the 6.5-284 would be a much more economically sound choice. But I've not run enough numbers or know enough about each to know if the article was skewing things one way or the other.

Please take no offense but the game we are after does not care about recoil and the economics of the ammo (that's the end user's problem; give your shoulder a break and install a muzzle brake :D) or any cost associated to the hunt, or know what velocity or trajectory is but we owe it to the game to harvest them humanely with the best shot placement and KE at POI, etc ...

I fully understand that it boils down to personal preference in chambering and bullet choice for the intended purpose. I also understand that muzzle brakes are not for everyone but today's muzzle brakes are awesome ... they not only reduce felt recoil but also muzzle rise ... being able to spot your bullet on impact is priceless.

Most of my rifles have muzzle brakes now; all of my three .300 WM has a felt recoil to that of .243s. By the way, I harvested a MT bull elk in 2013 at 931 yards with 190 Berger, almost identical load on the article, except my MV is 3043 FPS.

Just for the heck of it, I tried Hornady's HITS >>> HITS calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc using the numbers provided in the article.

The "Hornady Index of Terminal Standards" calculator is a resource designed to help hunters choose effective bullet/cartridge combinations for any hunting situation in the world.

Traditional muzzle energy figures do not take into account for the manner in which energy is transferred from the bullet to game animals. HITS factors in Bullet Weight, Sectional Density, Ballistics Coefficient, and Impact Velocity and delivers a rating that will fall into one of the four classifications below. Bullet construction is also a very important factor to consider.
... and yielded:

HITS%20140%20Berger_zpsdulgp96e.jpg

HITS%20190%20Berger_zps4zm6hwj3.jpg

NOTE: The velocity used above is MV, not impact velocitym

Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Cheers!

Last edited:

You will not get the same ft/lb ( downrange energy) with a 140gr as you will with a 200+

You will not ever get the same ft/lb ( downrange energy) with a 140gr in 6.5 284 as you will with a 185 -200gr + bullet 300wm.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.