6.5x284 hunting bullets

Angus

I have a savage long range hunter in 6.5x284. I am interested in what the best bullet would be for anything from coyotes to mule deer out to 500 yards.

I have been playing with the 142 SMK. Just for fun I shot a couple prairie dogs. One actually had a pencil size hole out both sides of his chest and still went 20 yards. Guess that is why they say they aren't for hunting.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I don't know where the compromise between BC and penetration lies.

I've had good results with the 140 gr SST, 140 gr Amax, 130 gr Scirocco and the 130 gr Accubond. Although the BC of the AB leaves a little to be desired.

Chris

Don't judge a hunting bullet by what it does to a one lb varmint.

That being said, I'll throw in my .02 for the 130g Scirrocco.

Steve

The first thing to focus on is accuracy. Bullet performance has very little impact (pun intended) if the bullet does not hit where you were aiming. So the first order of business is to find out which bullets are the most accurate in your rifle. Does your barrel have a fast enough twist to stabilize the 140 grainers?

My 6.5-06 AI has a 1-in-8 twist barrel to stabilze the heavier 140 grain bullets. However, in shooting different loads and bullets, I found that my particular barrel liked the 130 gr. Nosler A/B much better. So find out which bullet weight works best. Then move on to those bullets within that weight class that seem to have the best compromise between higher BC and terminal performance.

The first thing to focus on is accuracy. Bullet performance has very little impact (pun intended) if the bullet does not hit where you were aiming. So the first order of business is to find out which bullets are the most accurate in your rifle. Does your barrel have a fast enough twist to stabilize the 140 grainers?

My 6.5-06 AI has a 1-in-8 twist barrel to stabilze the heavier 140 grain bullets. However, in shooting different loads and bullets, I found that my particular barrel liked the 130 gr. Nosler A/B much better. So find out which bullet weight works best. Then move on to those bullets within that weight class that seem to have the best compromise between higher BC and terminal performance.

While I generally agree, my philosophy runs a little different.

Shooting is all about bullet performance. So the first consideration is choosing the right bullet for the task at hand, then determine if you can make it shoot. If you can't, move on to bullet option #2 etc.

Good point, as well. Both performance and accuracy must be solved in order to increase your long range hunting abilities. It sounds like we just attack the same problem from different angles.

When I first got into LRH, I had a custom 300 RUM built. I did a lot of testing of bullets in different mediums to develop my own opinions about terminal bullet performance. In all my testing (Speer BTS & GS, Berger VLD's, Swift Scirocco, Sierra MK, Barnes TSX, Hornady A-Max, Nosler AB, Wildcat, etc.) the Barnes TSX and TTSX were the most reliable and consistent in opening up perfectly (diameter and formation) under different conditions and velocities (above 1800 fps). Unfortunately, I couldn't get them to shoot worth a darn in my rifle. Hence my opinion of the best bullet out there ain't worth much if you can't shoot it reliably (accuracy).

As always, the final decision for me comes down to a compromise between a bullet's terminal performance, it's accuracy in my barrel, and the BC it carries down range.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.