6.5 hunting bullets

IndianaMatt

Well, I got out to call and shoot some coyotes with my 6.5-284 bench gun.

I shot 7 dogs with it so far and haven't had the results I expected. I'm loading 49.5 gr of r17 and using the 130 gr VLD hunting bullet. I'm pushing it around 2950 at the muzzle. It is extremely accurate.

I shot all but 2 of the coyotes between 2 and 3 hundred yards. In that range the bullet preformed very well.

The other two were shot between 5 and 6 hundred yards. The bullet did not expand at all and passed through the animal just like it came in. Exit wounds were the size of my pinkie finger. This was quite disappointing to me as I expected the bullet to still be moving around 2200fps at that range and should expand.

I'm planning another rifle in this caliber to use as a dedicated hunting platform. With results like these I'm very leary of its use as a big game rifle beyond 500 yards.

What are your thoughts or recommendations?

I think the Coyote is just not presenting a solid enough target to get it to really expand at that range. I've had excellent results with the 140 VLD out of my 264 WM around 3100 fps. Even out to 650 on Elk.

I have had great results with the 140 HVLD @ 2840mv on coyotes out to 900+. And on gig game out past 700. But not explosive. Try some of the 95 VMaxes. I shoot them @ 3360 from the same rifle, and they are amazing on coyotes out past 600 yards. Very accurate as well.

I think the Coyote is just not presenting a solid enough target to get it to really expand at that range. I've had excellent results with the 140 VLD out of my 264 WM around 3100 fps. Even out to 650 on Elk.

Your probably correct.
What load are you using in your Win Mag?

I have had great results with the 140 HVLD @ 2840mv on coyotes out to 900+. And on gig game out past 700. But not explosive. Try some of the 95 VMaxes. I shoot them @ 3360 from the same rifle, and they are amazing on coyotes out past 600 yards. Very accurate as well.

What cartridge are you shooting?

I've used the Sierra 140 and 120 both with good results. In my mags I like the 140 partition. I'm shanging up a bit myself, I'm moving to the 120 tsx in my swede and 260 and gonna try the 130 AB in my 6.5-284 and 264 WM. I can't think of a Bad choice of any 6.5 bullet.

What do you expect for barrel Life on the SLR?
6.5SS?
I have 1862 out of my 6.5 SLR so far. Still a .1-.2 MOA rifle. I am hoping for 2500+.

I have 127 out of my 6.5SS (with another 300 from when it was a .260Rem before I rechambered it). I would think 1000-1300 maybe?

Well, I got out to call and shoot some coyotes with my 6.5-284 bench gun.

I shot 7 dogs with it so far and haven't had the results I expected. I'm loading 49.5 gr of r17 and using the 130 gr VLD hunting bullet. I'm pushing it around 2950 at the muzzle. It is extremely accurate.

I shot all but 2 of the coyotes between 2 and 3 hundred yards. In that range the bullet preformed very well.

The other two were shot between 5 and 6 hundred yards. The bullet did not expand at all and passed through the animal just like it came in. Exit wounds were the size of my pinkie finger. This was quite disappointing to me as I expected the bullet to still be moving around 2200fps at that range and should expand.

I'm planning another rifle in this caliber to use as a dedicated hunting platform. With results like these I'm very leary of its use as a big game rifle beyond 500 yards.

What are your thoughts or recommendations?

Berger bullets (and similar) are designed to unload most of its energy on impact and they don't necessarily need to have an exit wound or sizable exit wound to be effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.