6.5mm/50BMG??????????

sambo3006

I was looking at the reamer list for JGS reamers the other day looking for a certain caliber. I noticed that they list a reamer for 6.5/50BMG. Wouldn't this be completely and utterly unsafe to attempt to fire? If it did fire safely, wouldn't the bullets just come apart in flight? 200+ grains of powder capacity....wow.

Ive seen a 338-50BMG, and a 7mm-50BMG being shot at the 1K range at Raton. Both were shortened a bit, but seemed to be working ok. It was before I was handloading, so I didn't think to ask the load particulars, but I know that you wouldn't want to be next to one going off. Everything weighting less than a couple pounds moves away from the muzzle brake at a high rate of speed, and everything more than a couple of pounds catches on fire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Was built on a Mcmillan action.

I am curious about this too. I saw that on the same reamer list a few months ago, been wondering if it was a joke since!

Sorry for digging up an old post guys, but has anyone got stats on these rounds? A 7mm/50bmg shooting a 162gr lost river match bullet could be an awesome long range rig.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

For the 338 version, look for some info on the 338 Talbot.
Id imagine that if a guy was going to build one it had better be to "just be a little different" rather than to have the newest super boomer. There are some on this board who a couple years ago tried a 7mm on the lapua case. There wasn't a lot of info circulated about the project later on, but the impresion I got was that it was dead due to the fact that they couldn't get much more velocity than more sensible 7mms from common commercial powders. Obviously, as Kirby's AM cartridges (as well as many others... Darrys Cassel's 338-416 for instance) demonstrate, some of the surplus ball powders can raise velocities above the more mainstream extruded powders, but at the expense of temp stability. Zeros, velocities, and pressures change with the weather mandating a constant juggling of powder charges if one wants to maintain the same pressure/velocity.
Of course... if you really want something to daydream about theres always the 50 fatmac... a 20mm case shortened and necked down to 50... or the 14.5mm Russian... and on and on...

Abinok,

Not looking to start a fight here but when was the last time you had to juggle powder charges in your 7mm AM to maintain zero? To that extent, when did you get your 7mm AM?

The main issue with the previous 7mm testing on the Lapua case was probably due to the fact that there were no 200 gr bullets available then for the rounds. These heavy bullets allow the larger case capacity of the Lapua to be used to full effect.

To the point of temp sensitivity, we will see if US869 does what they advertise it will do. I suspect this powder may well make your arguement against my round far less valid.

To be honest, I hunt in the fall and winter and have yet to see any issues with temp change on my 7mm AM out to +700 yards. The farthest I have taken game with it. It was in the 40 to 50 degree range hunting whitetails and around 20 when I hammered my boar in Canada a month later. Used the same drop chart for both with same load from the same batch of ammo.

Again, not looking to pick a fight here, just asking that you please do not use my round as an example of what you feel is extreme inconsistances in an extreme performance round.

I know you are not saying my 7mm AM is as impractical as a 6.5-50BMG, are you??

Mr Cassel uses one load for fall/winter shooting and another for spring summer shooting, he does not juggle his load around for all temps.

I use one load, well off max so that it is totally comfortable in all weather, maybe that is why I do not see the dramatic changes with temps, no need to run full tilt pressures, 3200 fps with a 200 gr ULD RBBT is plenty for me at any range.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Get em bubba!! Gotta love those long heavy bullets sitting on plenty of slow powder!!!Especially if they are sporting a high BC!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.