6.5mm x 47 Lapua Review

Not a problem Alan, if I can't prove it, I should not say it ... I will reference my remarks either in PM or here ... taking a break from work right now, but will try to look into double blind placebo human trials tonight or this weekend. If I can get Quickload changed over from my PC to my new iMac, I think I can do it there...or if you have it, you can start. Remember that you can not assume the variables of temperature, pressure or density altitude, barrel length or bore friction/lapping, moly or no, flat base or boat tail etc. were the same for these two different rifles and their milieu. This is how we learn. IF I got my stuff in a wad, I would never have survived as a pilot and all the flight critiques we did on one another to improve. Later, CR

What kind of velocity do you think one could achieve with a 6.5x47 Lapua with a 140 grain Berger Hybrid in a 29" Hart barrel with H4350? Would 2,900fps be reasonable given this bullets very small bearing surface and the long barrel? I'm having this built as we speak and am hoping to get 2,900fps without pushing my brass too hard. Any thoughts?

I think 2900 fps is reasonable. Lapua brass is the best so work up to the load and watch the effect on the brass. When you start getting marks, like a crescent moon, on the base, stop and back off a little. Personally I prefer accuracy than fps. That bullet is a great one.

Sir,

Thank you for this review. Your words inspired me to order a Model 54 in the 6.5x47 Lapua! As a matter of fact, I just got off the phone in placing the order. Now the wait begins.

I've got two 6.5x47 L's. the first is a trued 700 behind a # 4 28" 8 twist Brux. It shoots the 130 Vld's at 3017 behind 43 grains of H-4350. It consistently shoots 1/4 moa or less. I've had great ouch shooting 2-2.5" groups at 800. My worst day of shooting still showed 1/2 out through 800. Rally impressed with this rifle

My second is a pierce action behind a #3 28" Brux in a #3. I've only shot the rifle 20ish times but have produced several groups in the 3/8" range. Pretty good right out of the lathe. This rifle was built light with a A3 sporter w the edge package. I was a bit nervous with going w an 8.5 twist but so far so good. I'll be interested to see where the velocity ends up.

I am more than impressed with this cartridge.

I've got two 6.5x47 L's. the first is a trued 700 behind a # 4 28" 8 twist Brux. It shoots the 130 Vld's at 3017 behind 43 grains of H-4350. It consistently shoots 1/4 moa or less. I've had great luck shooting 2-2.5" groups at 800. My worst day of shooting still showed 1/2 out through 800. Really impressed with this rifle

My second is a pierce action behind a #3 28" Brux in a #3. I've only shot the rifle 20ish times but have produced several groups in the 3/8" range. Pretty good right out of the lathe. This rifle was built light with a A3 sporter w the edge package. I was a bit nervous with going w an 8.5 twist but so far so good. I'll be interested to see where the velocity ends up.

I am more than impressed with this cartridge.

On Saturday, two brothers, Cameron and Cody, whom I work with, went up behind my house on Saturday for Cameron's cow elk. Cameron had a bit of trouble with Cody's 300 Win Mag. He missed 6 times at two different cows. I offered to loan them my light 6.5x47 and they took me up on the offer. Yesterday, I instructed them how to dial up my NF 2.5-10x32 with NP-R2 reticle and printed up a drop chart. I wasn't worried about the wind as weather.com forecast calm to 2 mph.

Got a call about 3 pm. The cows stay up on the steep Western facing mountain behind my house. Cody coached Cameron into a 450 yd killing shot. The Barnes 127 gr LRX, running 2830 fps, zipped through both lungs of a very large cow. She ran about 30 yds before piling up and sliding down steep face in 3' of snow, stopping in some Gambel Oak brush.

CameronHuntscow_zps31fe1937.jpg

Cameronscowlungs_zps70bf2a70.jpg

I put down a Montana 3x4 mulie @ 500 yds in October with the same rifle/load. Worked with equal success.

Alan

Fantastic! Thank you for the story and photos. I knew the cartridge could do it. Alan, just curious, what length barrel is the rifle and what powder are you using?

Last edited:
On Saturday, two brothers, Cameron and Cody, whom I work with, went up behind my house on Saturday for Cameron's cow elk. Cameron had a bit of trouble with Cody's 300 Win Mag. He missed 6 times at two different cows. I offered to loan them my light 6.5x47 and they took me up on the offer. Yesterday, I instructed them how to dial up my NF 2.5-10x32 with NP-R2 reticle and printed up a drop chart. I wasn't worried about the wind as weather.com forecast calm to 2 mph.

Got a call about 3 pm. The cows stay up on the steep Western facing mountain behind my house. Cody coached Cameron into a 450 yd killing shot. The Barnes 127 gr LRX, running 2830 fps, zipped through both lungs of a very large cow. She ran about 30 yds before piling up and sliding down steep face in 3' of snow, stopping in some Gambel Oak brush.

CameronHuntscow_zps31fe1937.jpg

Cameronscowlungs_zps70bf2a70.jpg

I put down a Montana 3x4 mulie @ 500 yds in October with the same rifle/load. Worked with equal success.

Alan

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! That little 6.5 is impressive! I can't wait until mine is done being built! 4 more months! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts