need help with 6.5mm grendel

pressman

I am in the process of getting a 6.5 grendel
it will have a 24"or 26" kreiger barrel
my plans are to shoot paper out to 1,000 yards
and to hunt deer size game out to 600 yards or what ever the load limits me to. I will outfit this rifle with a 4-14 X 50 IOR tactical scope.
does anyone have any experience with this rifle? any help would be appreciated i would even consider just an opinion.

I'd look hard at other calibers like 6.5x47 Lapua (and wild cats of it) also the 260, 260 AI, 243, 243 AI, among others. My buddy almost went with the Grendel, but after talking with guys using it, he decided against it. Many claimed they couldn't achieve the advertised velocites/ballistics. Most who used the cartridge felt it was easy to load for and exceptionally accurate.

The Grendel is an improved and necked up 6PPC and is an excellent cartridge without a doubt. It seems you could expect about 300fps better from the 6.5x47 Lapua. The Lapua has more than 10gr powder capacity advantage and opperates at higher pressures. The Lapua gives the ballistics of the 260 rem with the less powder due to higher opperating pressures. The advantages of the Grendel would be barrel life, powder savings, less recoil. The Lapua would have more energy, better external and terminal ballistcs, wind bucking etc. It's really all up to you.

6.5x47 Lapua Tactical TackDriver

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/view/mb/file?username=6mmbr&id=161529

Cartridge Diagrams

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of fun out of that package. I know a few around here that use it for 3 gun. Very capable of doing what you want. Lots of fun too.

landcbeitner is right on with his discription. 308 type trajectories out of a really fun package.

If you want to be really happy with it though, you might want to examine what role it will play in your safe. If you want a great all round, light weight gun with enough punch to reach out there, and an easy-to-load-for, caliber conversion for an existing platform. Or if you want to hunt deer and varmints, its probably for you.

However if you expect to maximize that 24-26 inch barrel, and run heavy bullets at max velocity, you will be more satisfied with something else.

Remember that the round was designed to shoe horn more punch into a 223 sized magazine, not to maximize performance of a 6.5mm bullet. This combo runs best with bullets under 120 gr due to the limited case capacity. Loooong heavy bullets need to be seated deep into the case to fit into the magazine, and thus take up a lot of case capacity. Flat base bullets are probably your friend for the same reason.

You may find that a 20 inch tube makes much more sense due to diminishing returns availble with the limited case capacity.

Also, do not expect to be able to load them hot. Stick to published loads as they have been designed to work with the ar15 bolt design. The Grendel round with its excelent laupa brass is capable of much more pressure (and thrust, which is the key issue with the bolt) than the bolt can take.

If you want to use the AR15 platform, than the Grendel is probably the best option for hunting and shooting at longer ranges.

If you want to 1000 shoot, than there are cartridges that outperform it, but not in the AR15 platform. I would consider the cartridges mentioned above, plus the 6.5 Creedmore and the 6.5-284.

The question is if you intend on staying with the AR15 platform, because the 6.5 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmore, and the 6.5-284 cannot be run in the AR15 platform.

I shoot my Grendel to the tune of 100-200 rounds/week, and love it. It is a tack driver at 100 yards, with my best group at .25 inches center to center. (And I am not a great shooter!)

The new 123 Sierra and the similar, high BC rounds shoot very well.

I get 2500+ fps velocities with hand loads and the Black Hills factory loads do at least as well, if not better.

Bill

Not too far off topic, but for what it is worth, I looooovvve my 6.8 spc. easy to load for. I have had many sub 1" 10 shot groups at 100yds, even very early in load development. even had several 10 shot groups at around 7/8 inch on the first day. 90 gr tnt's are running north of 2800fps. 110 gr game kings hammered the does' this year. All that with a cheap tasco on top.

You might want to check out 65grendel.com
Bill has put up a good downloadable reloading chart.

Mine is set up with the 19.5" brl and makes for a very efficient [for a 30grain capacity case] and lightweight package. Can go to 1K but it is not meant to be a 260!
Heed the warnings about adhering to Bill's published reloading data and you should have no problems with finding a superbly accurate load. Mine likes the Lapua 123 scenars!
good luck!
Wes

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.