6.5mm - 25cal = .007"

I began working on this AB Analytics comparison of 150 SMK and 131 ACE before your response but these data points should illustrate the pack with +/- taken into account. I added the prototype ACE BC as a comparison and it really highlights what a few points of BC can do at extended ranges.

All of these cartridges are in fact badass, especially compared to available performance just 6-10 years ago, so a deer isn't going to know the difference one way or the other. The main difference will be recoil to the shooter.

These numbers were ran in AB Analytics at 0 Density Altitude.

- 150 SMK at 2775 fps,
- 150 SMK at 2850 fps,
- 131 ACE at 2975 fps (think 25x47L in 26"),
- 131 ACE prototype bullet at 3050 fps,
- 131 ACE production bullet at 3050 fps.

I usually don't include cartridge designations on these comparisons, but it is truly exceptional what the efficient little cartridges can do with a good bullet. For most cases is it worth burning the powder in a 25x284 or 25-06 to get to 3140-3200 fps over 2975-3070 fps? Maybe. Maybe not.

Trajectory: trajectory isn't everything, but in many instances reducing Max Ordinate will result in less actual wind in the field since your bullet is staying closer to the ground out of higher speed wind bands. Among these efficient examples this has less impact, but the slowest ACE is 4 feet flatter at 1300 yards than the faster 150 SMK.
View attachment 121022

Wind Deflection: nothing insane here in Wind but the prototype ACE and the 25x47 will run neck and neck with the 150 SMK 6.5 Creed at 2850 to a mile. Call it a wash but a fast 25 Creed is about 8% ahead of a fast 6.5 150smk Creed at 600, 1000, and 1760 yards. Depending on where your rifle wants to run this may be faster or slower in each rifle so call it a wash.

View attachment 121023

Energy:
Truly inconsequential differences amongst the lot. Plenty to do the job, but the 131 ACE out of a 25 Creed (H4350 haven't messed with RL26 or other speedy powders) edges out the 150 smk. Again, both of these pairings are tremendously ahead of other bullets in the market.

View attachment 121024

At the end of the day they are both great options. For higher volume shooters achieving the same performance with less recoil would get the nod. For guys that like having a lot of bullet options, there's a nod there.

Blackjack Bullets will be releasing the second high BC 257 option this year and the BC is only going UP!

The new bullet will really make the AI and Magnum Cartridges shine with new light. 25-06 AI, 25 SAUM, 25 PRC, and 257 WBY are going to be flat hard hitting monsters, still with pretty reasonable recoil.

The new bullet will also be very at home in 25x47 and be very good in the wind for matches.

I have to make a run to the rigs so I won't be back online for a few hours.
You guys are making a heck of a bullet. I may try the 25 in the future. Will be getting into prs this year. Would make a great round for that

Anyone with some ballistics knowledge and also ballistics history Knows that in Europe the 6.5's have been an excellent bulletsince the black powder days! Referring to the current 6.5 popularity as madness is simply the point that a large amount of shooters are finally becoming aware of just how good 6.5 caliber rifles can be. It took a long time before American shooters accepted laminated stocks, yet they were on all Mauser 98 rifles since before WWl ! I have .25 caliber rifles and they are very good. I have 6.5 caliber rifles and they are simply better.
WW

Here's something for the 6.5 guys to ponder lol.

Screenshot_20230214_132308_Facebook.jpg

I am a 25 fan and started my son with a bob while I shot the 06. While similar I agree and for short range I'd take my 25-06 over a 6.5 any day. The BC is where the 6.5 seems to excel. Never understood where the 6mm and 6.5 have such good BC but they can't make a 110-120 .257 that has decent BC. Yes the blackjack is good but also now need a new twist rate. If you don't reload and want a mild gun 6.5cm I prefer the prc but i won't have either at this point 257/7mm for me. Great post.

I am a 25 fan and started my son with a bob while I shot the 06. While similar I agree and for short range I'd take my 25-06 over a 6.5 any day. The BC is where the 6.5 seems to excel. Never understood where the 6mm and 6.5 have such good BC but they can't make a 110-120 .257 that has decent BC. Yes the blackjack is good but also now need a new twist rate. If you don't reload and want a mild gun 6.5cm I prefer the prc but i won't have either at this point 257/7mm for me. Great post.
The 131 BJ is non-existent; lots of guys lose money because they never got their orders filled or refunded.

My .257 WBY is 1:7" specifically built for the heavies. I have the 131 BJs, 133/135 Bergers, 134 Hornady, 145 Black Hole, and 163 Chinchiga. I will soon join @Bghunter338 to explore the 163s.

1711709863890.jpeg

Courtesy of @Bghunter338 - 163g Chinchaga next to 145g Black Hole.

Long range is relative to each and each situation IMO - the 25's are still number one in my book for the vast majority of my hunting situations and 257 will remain my all time fav. Bee that is, several robets because they are just cool - enough 25-06's in the house for the wife and kids as they flat get it done to. 90-115 grain pills work just fine and good distances as well.

6.5's have their place, i don't knock them - 25's will come out of the safe more in my household than anything!

I would say they meet but I'm not sure they exceed. The problem with the .257's has always been bullet selection. As you pointed out; .007" is not much difference given equal bullets.
I agree. I am a huge 25-06 fan (I have 3 of them) and it is a fine caliber for whitetails in Northwest Louisiana. But, bullet selection is limited. I got a 6.5 PRC a couple years ago and liked it so much I bought another one in a different rifle. I still love the 25-06; however, I might like my 6.5 PRC's a little better. Thanks

I don't think any diameter is inherently better than any other. For the difference between 6.5mm and 25cal is so small that it comes down to bullets, and for hunting bullets, 6.5mm's are widely available from mainstream sources in a wide variety of options. I can't see a reason to mess with a 25cal as a result. If .257" had been the diameter that got all the support, then I'd go that route instead.

Pretty much, except I refuse to own an obama motors vehicle. About the time Chevy and gm pay the tax payers back with interest is the day I may consider buying one. The day a cartridge is Sammi approved has little to do with popularity. Just look at the creedmore cartridges. I still don't understand their popularity lol.
GM paid back the incentive 14 years ago…that being said…advertising, profit and a consumer demand for the latest and greatest are the factors pushing out all these new or not so new caliber and cartridges to fill so called niches. None are necessary but they sell more guns and ammunition. I agree with you on the creedmore cartridges.

I agree. I am a huge 25-06 fan (I have 3 of them) and it is a fine caliber for whitetails in Northwest Louisiana. But, bullet selection is limited.
I am not sure what peoples' definition of bullet limitation but for the 120 and up, I have 131 BJ (if you have them/can still get them), 134 Hornady, 133/135 Bergers, 120/130/145 Black Hole, 135/140/163 Chinchagas (they can go up to 180). There are plenty more for under 130s in both leaded and lead-free bullets.