.25cal Elk Bullets

I have the utmost respect for the people on this form but a 257 is not enough for elk I have killed and elk every year for 15 years and I have used a several different calibers and I lost one of the biggest bulls I have ever had the opportunity at because in stead of using my 300rum I had my brother inlaws 257 with 110 accubonds this bull was at 150yrds and sucked up 4 rounds right in the sweet spot and one in the base of the neck and he keep on going I found the bull with his head cut off 5 day later and 4 miles away from were I shot him and all 4 round where in the lugs and the neck shot missed every thing so I would think long and hard about shooting an elk with a 257 elk are very tough keep that in mind good luck

I have the utmost respect for the people on this form but a 257 is not enough for elk I have killed and elk every year for 15 years and I have used a several different calibers and I lost one of the biggest bulls I have ever had the opportunity at because in stead of using my 300rum I had my brother inlaws 257 with 110 accubonds this bull was at 150yrds and sucked up 4 rounds right in the sweet spot and one in the base of the neck and he keep on going I found the bull with his head cut off 5 day later and 4 miles away from were I shot him and all 4 round where in the lugs and the neck shot missed every thing so I would think long and hard about shooting an elk with a 257 elk are very tough keep that in mind good luck

I don't mean any offense, but I have heard the same basic story from guys shooting a .338wm at elk. just not blaming their gun for being too light. I have not killed an elk but I am close to several that have killed many, and these things just happen. I have had heart shot deer run over a mile, weapon on one occasion was a 300 win mag. Personally, I think you encountered very big, even tougher than most animal. And inmy experience hunting and being around other hunters, those exist. I wouldn't blame the gun, wouldn't blame the shooter either . Neck shots are invariably unreliable. In every single case, it may work. I can definitely understand your position after having that happen, but I have heard of far too many killed with .257 ackley's and 25-06 and accubonds or partitions to be convinced it isn't enough gun. Is it Ideal, No.

Having guided a lot of elk hunting and shooting plenty of them myself I have concerns that any bullet in .257 WBY is going to be enough. Not to start some kind of ethical ****ing match, I am aware that they have been killed by spears, arrows and the like, but... I have seen elk lost. I lost one myself with what I thought was a perfect shot from a .30 cal bullet. They are hard to kill, and trying to knock them down with a 100 grain bullet doesn't pay them the respect they deserve. If you are going on a guided hunt I would be surprised if the outfitter would let you shoot a .25, and I would be suspicious of any outfitter who didn't have a problem with that. They can cover great distances after being hit in the boiler room. Sometimes when you find them you're amazed that they went more than a step with the kind of damage you've inflicted. Just something to think about.

First off, I agree with everything in Troutslayers post; However
It has been a long held belief/common practice by many guides and hunters alike that a .270 and bigger with a tough bullet is the ''minimum'' for elk, and the commonly held idea to shoot the biggest cartrige you can accurately shoot for elk. I can definately see the reasoning behind this practice. But Im dang sure not gonna tell a guy that the only rifle he has (257wby)isnt big enough. Id say limmit your shots to ''closer range'' and DO NOT SHOOT if you think the shot is questionable in any way.
Ive seen butchers use a 22lr to shoot a cow, or bull (bovine) in the head in the corral, and its 1 shot and lights out. Its all about getting the right shot at the most effective range for your cartrige, rifle, and ability. Ive seen girls and smaller frame folks use a 243 or a 308 for elk, and it worked. Any caliber you can legally shoot for a given critter CAN work IF you choose your shot. The big problemb is that MOST folks dont have the luxury of being able to take thier time and shoot at an animal holding perfectly still while standing broadside inside thier effective range. It just doesnt happen all that often in real world hunting situations. Between short seasons, and the incredibly HIGH price of hunting these days, and the excitement of the moment, alot of folks will be tempted to take a shot even if its somewhat questionable with a Howitzer. This is horrible. The key is to be able to eat your tag as many years as it takes to finally get that shot. Frankly I dont know even one person who elk hunts that has the kind of patience when an elk jumps up in front of you out of nowhere, and offers you a quartering shot or better, in thier effective range who wouldnt take it. Do you have confidence in your ability and the ability of your cartrige and bullet to make that shot? Or better yet do you have enough self restraint to pass if things arent just right? Can you tell the difference in a split second? Can you live with passing on a shot that you ''couldve made'' with a different cartrige? You need to have the answers before your in the situation.
Guides seem to be put under alot of pressure to get thier client an elk. Guides also have to take all commers. My best advise is to be upfront with your guide and build his confidence in you and your ability, but also listen if he says dont shoot. I dont use guides, due to where I live and hunt but, I know a few and they definately have a difficult job. I could not do what they do and keep my sanity. I have hunted and killed elk many times. Im not a guide, nor an expert, nor am I perfect. I have even felt lower than dirt for wounding an elk that I had to follow for 3 days untill it was finally brought down. Its a horrible feeling that I would not wish on annyone. But it wouldve been the same result weather with a 257wby or my elk rifle. My shot placement was too high shooting over brush, and didnt break the back nor disrupt the vitals enough to put the animal down. Youll only make that mistake once! Its the worst feeling ever. Ever since that mistake, I choose my shots more wisley, Vitals or pass.
I am of the opinion that bigger is better on elk, but If an elk shot in the vitals decides to run its simply because he's decided he's not dead yet. Ive seen this with everything from 7mm to 338win mag. Shoot again! but I certainly wouldnt tell anyone that a 257wby isnt enough. You just have to choose your shots at your most effectice range and be willing to eat your tag if your that shot doesnt present itself.
Im not dissagreeing with Troutslayer, just the opposite, I aggree bigger is better for such game. I dont think he was judging either. Just bringing up a solid point to think about. But IMO, You just have to be willing to choose your shot apropriately when using a smaller bullet, and choose the aproperiate guide/service if you choose to go the guided route. A 257wby will work. You just limmit yourself.

After my first couple years killing elk I was convinced they were bullet absorbing creatures so I got me a elk killer cannon. I shot a 45-70 loaded to the hilt topped with 300gr hollow points, ya it pulls the rug on an elk from just about any angle. At the same time I hunted with a friend who packed a pathetic 243 and I thought ya right for several years. But, dang I sure had to pack a bunch of his elk out. Years later I worked at a packer and have boned out over 1500 head of elk and now I know how he killed all those elk with his pathetic 243, he shot them in the ribs from one side to the other, not the spine, not the shoulder, not the neck.

I shot a bull three times with a 250-3000 AI in the neck to try to put him down, I took his neck apart one layer at a time and found that the bullets were blowing up on his spine, it was cracked but not one broke it. Last year I had a guy who swore that the only way to put an elk down was a shoulder shot, I told him I'd kick his *** if he shot one in the shoulder, well 300 WSM with 180 gr trophy bonded in the shoulder at 76 yrds turned into three days of tracking to get her, he wanted to turn her in and get a new tag cause she was spoiled, after a short discussion he decided that he would take what he had.

A friends dad, the same dang thing with a 7mm, she took two hits to the shoulder before some one :rolleyes: sent a 270 Berger through her lungs at which point she lost interest in life, not one bullet penetrated her chest except the 270 and he lost 32 lbs of meat.

I tryed to rock the shoulder shot with a 300 WBY with 180 gr Barnes TSX, twice cause I'm not very swift. Both times required multiple hits because the bullet turned on the shoulder.

We hunt with this old guy who likes to hunt this one spot so we bird dog for him every year and we haul out an elk every year that died from a 52 gr soft point out of a 22-250, through the heart or lungs 20 yrd - 300yrds dead elk every year for a lot of years.

As long as you shoot them from one side of the ribs to the other with a bullet that is going fast enough to open up and not hard enough to deflect on the ribs, you'll be gutt'n not track'n.

I don't care if the guy I have to take out is packing a 22-250 or a 338 what I care about is how he uses it, if a guy acts like an elk killer because of what he's packing you know you'd better be ready for the assist or a long hike to see the other side of the valley.

Wow, that got long winded, don't take this like I got a burr under my saddle, I know guys who can't kill elk with anything less than a 416, I don't care as long as elk are on the ground and I'm not tracking! :D

cfvickers that is the only elk that went more than 50yds I have never had an elk go anywhere when I shot one of my big .30cals or .338cals the 50yds elk was with my bow I don't care about ethics it is just respect for the animal to have a good death and a 257 is not an elk round

cfvickers that is the only elk that went more than 50yds I have never had an elk go anywhere when I shot one of my big .30cals or .338cals the 50yds elk was with my bow I don't care about ethics it is just respect for the animal to have a good death and a 257 is not an elk round

I wholely agree that the .257 wby is not an intended elk round, and I also lend the same agreement with others who have said that if that is what you use, you should be very judicious and disciplined in your shot placement and choice of whether it is ethical to pull the trigger. I respect your oppinion but I disagree with you on the matter of it being a capable caliber. I assume (sometimes wrongly so) that people will have the respect for the animal to pass on a bad shot. I do not doubt that you lost one that was hit well, I am just saying that it can happen regardless of the caliber. You have obviously not experienced this but having experienced it with a 300 win mag on a white tail, I have no doubt whatso ever that it can happen with any caliber on a much larger and tougher animal. I am with the poster who said a 45/70 with a 300 grain hollow point loaded hot. That is a reasonable load for most critters. I have passed on some shots that I THOUGHT I could PROBABLY make ob both an elk and a lot of very nice deer. I would expect the same from any decent hunter. throwing rounds down range untill he topples is not a good plan ever, but I have seen it done by some hunters I respected as such before the fact.

If thats your opinion then dont use one.
Ive seen elk hit well with big 338 mags and run off,and die in a hell hole somewhere where it takes days to pack em' out. But Ive also seen women and kids smoke elk DRT with a 243 and a 308.
A 25 cal will do fine at a reasonable range with the right bullet and placement. I agree with another one of your posts about neck shots being ''iffy''. I dont like em either, but they work for some people.
I aggree a bigger caliber would be a bennifit. Heck Im a big 270 and 30, and 338 cal fan. But I dont recomend you tell a guy what he can and cant use based on your opinion. Suggestions on what has worked for you is fine. Suggesting someone use a bigger caliber is fine when done with tact in certain situations. Defining someone elses rifle as wrong for the job is strictly your opinion.
Respect the animal by knowing your effective range, and proper shot placement.
You can kill an elk with a 22lr if your close enough and hit em in the head.
Im not trying to be grouchy. I agree with some points you have. I also would prefer to use a bigger rifle, but Im just sayin ease up a bit. If all you had was a 25 cal rifle would you give up elk huntin? I wouldnt.

Last edited:
Well . . . I guess I should just sit at home with my thumb up my *** and cook my elk tag up for dinner come opening day. JK

Thank you all vary much for the advise I will for shure take my time and think it through be for sending one.

As far as guided hunts go cant say I have been on one but I can tell there not for me.

I have a friend who has taken 21 bull elk since 1978 using a 6mm x 284 100 grain nosler solid base. Range out to 750 i was with him last fall in co. taking a 6x7 at 600 plus yards.
mike

Your original post was about bullet choice. The bullet you choose is everything. My opinion is that use a heavy constructed bullet designed for big game hunting. Keep your yardage under 400 yards and take a broadside shot on a calm animal that doesn't know you are there. I like the mono metal bullets, but you need to pay attention to required twist rates for the bullet. Do not get hung up on bullet weight of the mono metal bullet Heavier is not always better. The right bullet for the twist of the barrel is most important. Mono metal bullets will retain almost all of their weight, making penetration very good. 95% weight retention on a 100g mono metal hunting bullet compared to 70% weight retention on a 120g lead core bullet will get the job done.

I have used GS Custom bullets and Nosler E-tips with very good success. My preference is the GS bullet. For a lead core bullet my favorite is the Swift scirocco.

Good luck, and have fun elk hunting.

Steve

I have had great success shooting the barnes 100 grain ttsx at 3760 fps out of my 257 wby. Last year we took several animals with it. The largest being a caribou through both shoulders at 500 yards. Clear through and kept going. I would have no problem shooting an elk with it. Monometal bullets are the way to go with a small caliber on large big game.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.