6.5 sherman shortmag field test

Got my new magneto speed today so gave it a test run to see what the SS would max out at with 7828. 58 grs. was absolute max and turned up 3219' with a 142 Matrix ( 26" barrel). Not bad for a Creedmore length case:D The mag speed is really slick and easy to use.........Rich

Dang, that's VERY hard to beat. Well done on the case design.

Did accuracy fall off at that speed?

t

Yes, but I don't know how accurate 7828 will be anyway? I haven't had time to play with it yet. I shot some RL 25 today at just under 3100' that showed some real promise and there was room for more velocity.....Rich

I thought this was a rather interesting and revealing comparison. L to R are 300 RUM, 300 WSM and 6.5 SS. The velocities listed are max from a 26" barrel from the Berger manual and actual chrono data from the 6.5 SS. The only actual Berger in the pic is a 185 in the 300 WSM.View attachment 23216

Rich, I've been following these threads with interest. You guys have done some great work. I got to see Rhian's SS and loaded cartridges in Townsend. I've been thinking about a short action 6.5 SAUM for a while.

If I might comment on the RUM and WSM velocities. I've been able to push 210's to 3130 max with Retumbo in my RUM and 180's to 3200 plus in my 24" WSM with RL17. I suspect it might do well in your SS as well. In any case, very interesting and well done.

Are you going to nitride this barrel?

Last edited:
Rich, I've been following these threads with interest. You guys have done some great work. I got to see Rhian's SS and loaded cartridges in Townsend. I've been thinking about a short action 6.5 SAUM for a while.

If I might comment on the RUM and WSM velocities. I've been able to push 210's to 3130 max with Retumbo in my RUM and 180's to 3200 plus in my 24" WSM with RL17. In any case, very interesting and well done.

Are you going to nitride this barrel?

Hi Mark! Thanks for the compliment. The velocities I posted were pretty much the top out of reloading manuals and I don't doubt you can do better with hand loads. I'm not sure on the nitride yet? Only so much $$$$$ to play with:D.......Rich

Hi Mark! Thanks for the compliment. The velocities I posted were pretty much the top out of reloading manuals and I don't doubt you can do better with hand loads. I'm not sure on the nitride yet? Only so much $$$$$ to play with:D.......Rich

Yeah, the Berger manual seems to be a little conservative. Do you know what barrel length powder they were using for the RUM data? Most guys I see loading the RUM with 210 Bergers and Retumbo are getting in the 3100-3150 range in a 26" barrel. Nosler's online manual shows 3050 with 210 partitions which have a longer bearing surface using RL25 out of a 24" barrel. Not sure why any bullet or powder manufacturer would ever use a 24" barrel for RUM testing? :rolleyes:

300 Remington Ultra Magnum — Nosler

The standard 300 WSM powders do produce velocities in the 2950-3000 fps range for 180 bullets. But RL17 really does well in the WSM case and gives me 200 fps more velocity than H4350 with the same pressure. I suspect it will do well in your SS also.

I don't mean to detract from your thread but I thought I would give a little more perspective on the comparison.

Carry on with the good work :D

Yeah, the Berger manual seems to be a little conservative. Do you know what barrel length powder they were using for the RUM data? Most guys I see loading the RUM with 210 Bergers and Retumbo are getting in the 3100-3150 range in a 26" barrel. Nosler's online manual shows 3050 with 210 partitions which have a longer bearing surface using RL25 out of a 24" barrel. Not sure why any bullet or powder manufacturer would ever use a 24" barrel for RUM testing? :rolleyes:

300 Remington Ultra Magnum — Nosler

The standard 300 WSM powders do produce velocities in the 2950-3000 fps range for 180 bullets. But RL17 really does well in the WSM case and gives me 200 fps more velocity than H4350 with the same pressure. I suspect it will do well in your SS also.

I don't mean to detract from your thread but I thought I would give a little more perspective on the comparison.

Carry on with the good work :D

Berger manual 26" highest velocity 2945' with H870.......Rich

I did a little more testing today and played around with the 140 A-Max and RL25 since they shot well in my 6.5 Sherman (long version). It looks as if the Norma brass will work just fine....Rich DSCF0609.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0607.jpg
    DSCF0607.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 122
Good shootin Rich, i think you need to come to Townsend this August and you and Rhian can have a shoot off. :D gun) Have either you or Rhian came up with a BC for the 142 matrix?

Good shootin Rich, i think you need to come to Townsend this August and you and Rhian can have a shoot off. :D gun) Have either you or Rhian came up with a BC for the 142 matrix?

I haven't done any b.c. testing and in fact I am nearly out of Matrix bullets. I talked to Marshal yesterday and he can't get any 160 jackets until AT LEAST Sept........Rich

He told me he would hopefully have some in by the end of July. Guess not. I am also almost out of 160s

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.