6.5 SHERMAN MAX

did you happen to try h 1000 too
Yessir sure did. I had noticeable ejector marks at 3100fps. Rl33 and N570 were the only two powders to get to 3180 w/o ejector marks. 8133, Retumbo N565 RL26 all showed ejector between 3110-3130 and H1000 starred showing at 3100. I know a lot of guys run their SS, SST, or Max cases with light ejector, but since these straight walled cases already hide pressure I figure ejector marks are coming above 70k psi.

2990 with RL26 in 22" Proof
My mistake, these numbers are for my 6.5 PRC with 156 EOL and RL26..... still waiting for the 6.5 Max to show up from smith......should be interesting to compare once I receive the new gun!

Which Wyatts magazine box, spring and follower are you all using in long action R700 foot print actions for the 6.5 Max?

Last edited:
Which Wyatts magazine box, spring and follower are you all using in long action R700 foot print actions for the 6.5 Max?
I ran a cfe13 in my 7max bdl. The max cases don't run great off fees rails of mbe boxes. And even centerfeed they require a lot of tuning to the lips. Honestly I think a detach mag would work best, the 3.615 internal aics would work well. For best feeding, an XM or tikka action work the best. Not too short or too long. The 3.15" coal really is in no man's land inside a long action as well. When it releases the case body from the fees lips, the bullet nose may not yet be into the chamber and can cause jamming. Fast deliberate bolt manipulation is your friend, run it slow and quiet, chances are youll2have fail to feed. My 6.5 max is on a Tikka long action utilizing mdt 3.56 ext, 3.45 internal mags, in an xlr chassis. Have no issues feeding with this setup, run fast or slow. I do love tikkas, I'd build off one vs a lot of others.

I ran a cfe13 in my 7max bdl. The max cases don't run great off fees rails of mbe boxes. And even centerfeed they require a lot of tuning to the lips. Honestly I think a detach mag would work best, the 3.615 internal aics would work well. For best feeding, an XM or tikka action work the best. Not too short or too long. The 3.15" coal really is in no man's land inside a long action as well. When it releases the case body from the fees lips, the bullet nose may not yet be into the chamber and can cause jamming. Fast deliberate bolt manipulation is your friend, run it slow and quiet, chances are youll2have fail to feed. My 6.5 max is on a Tikka long action utilizing mdt 3.56 ext, 3.45 internal mags, in an xlr chassis. Have no issues feeding with this setup, run fast or slow. I do love tikkas, I'd build off one vs a lot of others.
Thanks, I have built two 6.5 PRC off of Defiance Rebel XM actions with their (Sunnyhill) matching bottom metal and mag boxes. I was looking for clarification on whether to continue using the XM actions or use a long action, which ever feeds the best is the direction I would like to go. I would like to stick with the BDL bottom metal for sure.

Thanks for your reply
Liddy

Hey Highdrum,

How much throat growth have you gotten now that you have a couple hundred down the tube?

I know you were concerned about this in the beginning.

Shot the 6.5 max yesterday. Trying to run a ladder whilst fireforming. Heres the results. Bartlein CF 22" barrel. 2500' elev 56 degrees. Finished fireforming 50 brass yesterday and went on to load and shoot again. Will cover that in the next post. I should mention my wife shot a 1/4" group while fireforming yesterday. One ragged hole @ 100 yds.

Attachments

• 16331894874454873444589702659936.jpg
    16331894874454873444589702659936.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
Shot the 6.5 max yesterday. Trying to run a ladder whilst fireforming. Heres the results. Bartlein CF 22" barrel. 2500' elev 56 degrees. Finished fireforming 50 brass yesterday and went on to load and shoot again. Will cover that in the next post. I should mention my wife shot a 1/4" group while fireforming yesterday. One ragged hole @ 100 yds.
Nice! I would caution not to run top pressure while forming though. Much better on the future of primer pockets.